HP laptop or Windows Vista glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

compused

Hiya,

I have finally got my laptop up and running after signing up with an ISP provider yesterday.

My computer is not restarting properly after saying that it has to restart after, say, updates. It switches off but then goes to a blank screen instead of my Desktop with all my progrrammes. The only way I have been able to deal with this is to hold the start button in and force it to switch off.

The first time this occurred was this morning when I uninstalled AOL as I wanted Google to ge my search engine. I had complete heart failure as I thought I had uninstalled everything instead of merely AOL. However, when I forced my laptop to switch off and then restarted it again, my Desktop returned to normal.

This evening it had 48 Windows updates to install. After it had finished installing all these, it stated that it needed to restart in order to finish installing these updates. I pressed the Restart button and the same thing occurred - I got a blank screen and had to force the laptop to switch off by pressing the off/on key for more than 10 seconds.

My laptop is an HP G70-212EM with 3 GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive and Windows Vista as its operating system.

Is there anything I can do to rectify this, or should I take it back to the shop I bought it from?

Compused

Hiya,

I updated my antivirus this morning and had to restart and the laptop closed and started again OK but then went to the same blank screen with nothing on it. I have just phoned a technician at the shop where I bought my laptop. He asked me to restart my laptop using Start, Restart and it started OK and took me to my desktop. He says it's therefore a software issue and not a hardware issue. He wanted me to phone their software issues department at £1.19 a minute! I think I shall try pressing Start, Restart and restart that way whenever I have to restart after an update and see if that works before forking out that sort of money for advice.

Compused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back