HP laptop screen powers on but turns off

After having contacted Microsoft support for help with Zune software installation I noticed that my computer was running slow during start-up and while on. I powered it off and didn't turn it on for about an hour. When the laptop is turned on I get the HP splash screen and then goes black. The keyboard lights and fan are running correctly. Once the computer loads the Windows login, the screen turns on again for about 5 seconds and turns off.

I decided to shine a flashlight against the screen and I noticed that I could see my desktop (laptop has a fingerprint scanner which allows me to login). I connected the laptop via HDMI to my HDTV and was able to view my desktop and the screen came on for about 5 seconds again. When I switch between the display settings (projector, duplicate, projector only, etc.), the laptop screen turns on for about 5 seconds before turning off.

This is the first time the display does this. Never had any screen flicker issues or incorrect hibernation shutdowns. I really don't believe its a faulty screen and more a computer setting. Any help would be great because this is my work and school computer that I can't do without.

HP HDX16 running Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit)
Display is an LCD HD 720p screen

It sounded like your backlight is malfunctioning... or you set the screen resolution that laptop doesn't like at all.

1. Boot safe mode and see if screen stays on. ( It should be, since safe mode runs on 640X480, which it's standard requirement for every computers to start with as generic video driver.)

2. Boot os normally, using flashlight to shine the screen, change the screen resolution to lower, or higher. ( MAKE SURE YOUR DISPLAY REFRESH RATE IS AT 60HZ FOR LCD/LED )

3. Boot the linux live cd, such as ubuntu's live cd, and see if the screen stays on.

4. Keyboard shortcut of changing projector mode, good chance that it's malfunctioning on one output, and you need to switch on two outputs instead of one.

Last question, does your laptop carries the warranty with them?

HP HDX16-1025nr

I am having the exact same problem with HP HDX16-1025NR laptop (Win Vista, SP-2 64bit). I brought it in to the repair shop and they tried booting in safe mode but it went blank after the main bootup screen too. My screen also turns on for awhile when connected to an external source and dies again. Repair shop says its not the LCD inverter but HP support shows it might be. I am no longer under warranty. The only changes I made this past month were installing SP2, installing an updated Nvidia Driver, and new software (Pinnacle HD Studio 14 & Sony Bloggie Software). Could this just be defective monitor like the shop told me? I did notice it made a hissing noise before it went out and the resolution kept changing. Please help. This laptop is less than 3 years old.

Back