HP launches self-installing LaserJet Pro printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

HP has introduced a series of laser printers that feature "plug and print" Smart Install technology, allowing the devices to run without user-installed drivers. Instead, required software is preloaded onto the printers, so you can simply attach them to your PC via USB and everything is handled automatically. HP says the process takes about two minutes, and requires no separate media.

If you're wondering why such a technology is useful, swing by any local office (or watch Office Space) and see for yourself. Printers are notoriously frustrating to use, and manually installing drivers or clunky utilities just adds fuel to the fire. "Our customers demand easy printing and we're giving it to them -- no clumsy CD-ROMs to install, no drivers to download," said an HP exec.

HP Smart Install technology exists in a handful of products, including the HP LaserJet Pro P1100 series, M1130/M1210 MFP series, as well as the P1566 and P1606dn, which range in price from $129 to $229. The P1102w and P1606dn are already shipping worldwide, while the P1102 and P1566 are only available in Asia and Europe. The rest should be available everywhere next month.

Permalink to story.

Well it's about d**n time!!! I HATE when people ask me to set up printers for them, expecially when they've bought them from a garage/yard sale, a resell shop, or from someone they know. Now it'll be much easier...hopefully, lol.

It would be nice if it could do this over a wireless network, such as at a public wifi. The library I work at could sure use such wireless technology.

HA! Everyone is underestimating end-user's ability to f**k up even the simplest of tasks. Can't wait for someone to say, "But I don't know how to plug the cable in..." Then I'll charge $75.00 just to plug it in. hahahaha!

As cheap as flash memory is now, I'm surprised this is just now being done. I mean, really, on a mass scale how much would 32 mbs of flash mem cost? 30 cents each? I guess the expense and complication is getting the software on the printer to recognize that it's plugged into a PC and begin the automated script to transfer the data to the PC.

isnt printers easy to install as it is? More important question, what operating systems is it going to support? and what happens if the user doesnt have rights to install the printer?

Or like burty117 mention, what happens when installing on a server?

Will it work on Apples odd machines?

Installing a printer is one of the simplest tasks and it does not matter how "uer friendly" you do stuff, there will still be *****s that will be able to mess it up. User friendly usualy meens less options and a nightmare to fix when it doent work. Since everything is setup in the printer it self you will probably have to send the whole printer for service when its goes crash boom bang

tonylukac - well problem with wireless is the security issues.
wireless simply isnt secure in anyway. .

. but ok, would not mind having some fun making all printers in a liberary start printing endlessly for no reason....and try and track who did it when everything is wireless *Lol*

been there done that, and neigbours still dont have a clue where all those wierd messages that got printed came from.

JudaZ said:
isnt printers easy to install as it is? More important question, what operating systems is it going to support? and what happens if the user doesnt have rights to install the printer?

Shouldn't Printer's be more like a web browser client? Like it shouldn't matter if I use Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer to visit TeachSpot.com, all browsers should give me the same look and feel since TechSpot is written in HTML standards. Printers should be just like that. I print an industry standard printing format and "ta-da" the printer just prints. Then the real printing competition comes from higher quality products and better looking print-outs.

Really 2 minutes.. a HP printer driver takes 2 minutes to install what world are you guys in? When was the last time you installed a HP printer driver. It takes like at least 30 min even if you do a custom install. I once went to a HP tech conference and asked why does it take so long to load a driver, they laughed.

Dear HP,

I don't believe you. Even with this tech, your company's software skills are bad at best. HP advisor, HP update, pinter drivers, your horrible touch devices.

slightly amused PC Tech,

Reck1e5s <-twitter

Guest - it only takes 30 minutes to install a printer if you install all the usless extra programs , the driver takes a few minutes.

with win 7 you probably dont have to install the driver at all, ther OS takes care of it already most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back