TechSpot

HP offering Windows 8 upgrade refund on select PCs

By Shawn Knight
Aug 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. In an effort to entice consumers to go ahead and buy a Windows 7 PC now, multiple outlets and brands have decided to eat the upgrade cost associated with Windows 8 later this year. Falcon Northwest has been offering a…

Read more

2. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,392   +551

Common Sense Rule #1) Stay away from rebates and refund checks.
    Common Sense Rule #2) Stay away from anything refurbished.
    Common Sense Rule #3) Anytime Microsoft releases a new operating system, wait 12 months before considering to purchase.

3. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 512   +131

Rule number 3 is the only one that is definitely the case all the time. #1 is okay if you can read between the lines and follow all the rules, number 2 is no worse than buying used. It could mean someone returned an item and the packaging was opened.

4. Alvaro

Alvaro TS Rookie Posts: 41   +8

"...or scanned imagine of the dated invoice..."

Did you mean "scanned image"?

5. Marvin McKinley

Marvin McKinley TS Rookie

I have a HP G6 Laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and want to run Windows 8 and install with the DVD they offer. Will I have any problem installing over Windows 7.

6. @Marvin McKinley: Yes, Windows 8 will make you hate your computer. Stay with Windows 7. :p

7. DadDanko

DadDanko TS Rookie

There is nothing wrong with Win 8. I demo'd it to myself on three platforms with the pre-release. My only issue was the lack of a few drivers. I bought an HP Dv7-7000 in July, aware that HP had some kind of a cheap or free W8 upgrade deal. I just navigated through the current info and it had better be free after reading all the exceptions and warnings. Unless you buy a current PC made to run W8 there is a good chance even a 2012 laptop will have some issues with W8 with no solution possible. So if I can get one free I will try it and if there are issues I will dump it.

8. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TS Booster Posts: 247   +27

There is plenty wrong with Windows 8. I tried it extensively, it does nothing worthwhile that 7 doesn't (unless perhaps on tablets?) and is ugly and counter-intuitive for normal desktop/laptop operation. Windows 7 or even XP (or almost any Liunx distro) are more use for work :)