HP offering Windows 8 upgrade refund on select PCs

By Shawn Knight
Aug 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. In an effort to entice consumers to go ahead and buy a Windows 7 PC now, multiple outlets and brands have decided to eat the upgrade cost associated with Windows 8 later this year. Falcon Northwest has been offering a…

Read more
  2. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 804   +201

Common Sense Rule #1) Stay away from rebates and refund checks.
    Common Sense Rule #2) Stay away from anything refurbished.
    Common Sense Rule #3) Anytime Microsoft releases a new operating system, wait 12 months before considering to purchase.
  3. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TechSpot Booster Posts: 343   +34

Rule number 3 is the only one that is definitely the case all the time. #1 is okay if you can read between the lines and follow all the rules, number 2 is no worse than buying used. It could mean someone returned an item and the packaging was opened.
  4. Alvaro

Alvaro Newcomer, in training Posts: 41   +8

"...or scanned imagine of the dated invoice..."

Did you mean "scanned image"?
  5. Marvin McKinley

Marvin McKinley Newcomer, in training

I have a HP G6 Laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and want to run Windows 8 and install with the DVD they offer. Will I have any problem installing over Windows 7.
  6. @Marvin McKinley: Yes, Windows 8 will make you hate your computer. Stay with Windows 7. :p
  7. DadDanko

DadDanko Newcomer, in training

There is nothing wrong with Win 8. I demo'd it to myself on three platforms with the pre-release. My only issue was the lack of a few drivers. I bought an HP Dv7-7000 in July, aware that HP had some kind of a cheap or free W8 upgrade deal. I just navigated through the current info and it had better be free after reading all the exceptions and warnings. Unless you buy a current PC made to run W8 there is a good chance even a 2012 laptop will have some issues with W8 with no solution possible. So if I can get one free I will try it and if there are issues I will dump it.
  8. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

There is plenty wrong with Windows 8. I tried it extensively, it does nothing worthwhile that 7 doesn't (unless perhaps on tablets?) and is ugly and counter-intuitive for normal desktop/laptop operation. Windows 7 or even XP (or almost any Liunx distro) are more use for work :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.