TechSpot

HP offers basic quad-core Android tablet for $100

By Julio Franco
May 22, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. HP was for a long time the #1 PC manufacturer worldwide, and yet it's better known in the tablet world for its bargain sale of $99 HP TouchPad webOS tablets after the Palm acquisition went awry.

Read more

2. Never had a tablet, never really seen the point of it when I have both a good size smartphone and a laptop. But maybe I'll give this one a try, the price seems right.

Arris likes this.
  3. mrtraver

mrtraver TS Guru Posts: 345   +43

Sounds like it might be a decent starter tablet for kids or grandparents, especially those who do not have a smartphone or a laptop. My 8 year old has a cheap HKC 7" android tablet, but it is often frustrating for her (and me) to use, with its slow single core processor, limited storage, and low-res screen.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,507   +2,055

And you'll be surprised how well this thing will sell. Not everybody wants or needs an iPad or Surface 3 or can even afford them. I gave away my Nexus 7 because it was a white elephant but if I was to ever look at tablets again this is the kind of thing I'd look at.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  5. anupam

anupam TS Rookie

This is a firsts time in a long time I have seem some sign of intelligence in the sales strategy from HP to be really competitive in a particular segment. Also with this tab who is to say it will not convert some mid range / segment buyers into going for a cheaper alternative since most of the tab buyers are just looking for a larger screen as the starting point.

mosu likes this.
  6. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 494   +126

Hp has been doing this for over a year now, we had the original slate 7 in store, sold for 150 and went on sale for $120. This just seems like the same case and screen but with a new, more powerful, soc. For the price there actually nice tablets, Hp does compete in the higher end tablet markets though a quick look at the hp website would have shown you that, great research... I would still take dells venue 8 over this though only like $30 difference for a intel soc and a better screen and battery life.