HP Officejet will not print "Printer not installed/services that Windows needs is.."

LiquidPaper

Thank's to Broni, I just shook a nasty Trojan virus! However, now that's all taken care of -the printer is not working.

The printer is a HP Officejet J650 All-in-One It prints, scans, and is a fax machine. When I go on Microsoft Word and type in "testing" on a document and hit 'print' the printer will print my sheet out no problems. However, if I try to print a picture or pdf. file, this error message pops up.

For Pictures:

Print Picutures Error
"This picture can't be printed because no printer is installed or a service that Windows needs is not running." --- 'Ok' "

For Pdf files:

Adobe Reader
"Before you can perform print-related tasks such as page setup or printing a document, you need to install a printer" --'Ok' "

I have uninstalled and re-installed the printer's hardware. Made sure the printer's spooler is working (that was an issue once a couple months ago). Set the printer as the "Default" and made sure everything is plugged in correctly. Like I said, it will print perfectly fine if I go on Microsoft Word > Edit > Print > Print and when it brings up the screen with all your print options I have to go up and select the 'printer name' in the drop down box.

So, my guess is that the other programs are not picking up on the printer by themselves because on Microsoft Word I have to manually select it. Any ideas on how to fix this? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I've done that already, but I shall try again! I was wondering, should I try updating it? When I go on the HP website under my printer type, it has all the software, updates, and firmware that you can download. Should I be downloading those updates? Is my printer just not compatible with these updated programs? What is firmware?

Buy or find a junker, and take out the little system board to try in your non working one. That is your only chance of fixing the issue... replace the electronic hardware... as well as cleaning out everything under the case cover... with alcohol and Q-Tips, along with a lint-proof rag.

uninstall the printer; reboot and then reinstall

I tried this again... 4 times! Each time (after the reboot and it was getting ready to finish up installing) the following error would pop-up.

"C:\Programs Files\HP\Temp\{15262012-213A-4f56-9010-C8Au09EC0156}\hpzset..."
'Fatal error occured during installation.' [Ok]

Once you hit okay, prompts you to download a troubleshooting program. I did this, and followed it's instructions (pretty much uninstall and re-install everything). Every time I hit the end though, this "Fatal Error" happens. I disabled my anti-virus program, made sure no other programs were up and running. I don't know what's going on.

I've been trying to nose around and I'm hearing these particular printers can be difficult to install. Something about Registry errors, it leaves behind previous install programs that try to run again when you try to run a new one. Then it messes it up? I'm not sure if that's 100% correct. Sounds a little off, but on the right track. I think something may have got tweaked slightly in the Registry after dealing with this virus. All the anti-virus and malware programs I ran could have easily messed with something. (They also mentioned free anti-virus programs messing things up).

So please! Does this give you any leads? I really think it has to do with the Registry now, how could I go in and look for myself? I can't find enough information to tell me what exactly to look for and I'm not confident or savvy enough to just jump in there without some outside help.

Buy or find a junker, and take out the little system board to try in your non working one. That is your only chance of fixing the issue... replace the electronic hardware... as well as cleaning out everything under the case cover... with alcohol and Q-Tips, along with a lint-proof rag.

This may have to be done, but I would like to try as hard as I can to make sure there are absoultely no software problems first. This is actually a friend's business/family computer. I'm not sure they would be into buying a junker printer, they'd probably just buy a new one if it realllllly came down to it. And I'm not good enough to replace electronic hardware. :/

I appreciate your input though!! :)

Every time I hit the end though, this "Fatal Error" happens. I disabled my anti-virus program, made sure no other programs were up and running. I don't know what's going on.
details would be helpful here.

On that system, run->cmd and enter EventVwr.msc

click on the Application events and look for ERROR events;
dbl-click on one to open and then click the little document icon below the down-arrow
(which copies the info to the clipboard). The paste into a Notpad document.

Iterrate for two or three such errors and follow-up by pasting the Notpad contents . . .

You appear to have performed the normal tasks we could suggest. Yet HP printer models are infamous for having their little system board go out, without any useful diagnostics to use for trouble-shooting. Others just don't work until the hard drive is cleaned up of all HP printer install software from previous printer models or previously installed models.

One "Secret" that we usually use with clients on unknown machines is to thoroughly remove all evidence of previous HP printer or scanner install software from you hard drive by normal uninstall techniques. Then install the software for a large HP bulky multi-function printer, like an OfficJet Pro 8600 eAI0 Printer or Photosmart 7510 eAIO printer or preferably an earlier model of a large HP Multifunction.

Then reboot, then uninstall that printer using the HP uninstall software. Then reboot once more.

Then do the largest, most complete reinstall your printer from the HP download.
Many HP printers seem to leave installs or "HP junk" on your hard drive. This software residue then seems to block new or clean installs. For some reason, this extra unused install and removal seems to remove this HP software junk.

Then, you reboot, and reinstall from the latest HP download for your model of printer and your version of Windows or Apple.

This PIA approach works so often in our shops and in our client's offices that we are smugly amazed.

Good luck. Let us know how it finally turns out.

PS: As far as I know, the above trick only works with Windows XP and Windows VISTA machines... hard to do, I suppose, with a Windows 7 machine.

Back