HP overheating, Bios, Turn fan to 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

ply4free

I have an HP DV 6000 that I recently replaced the motherboard due to overheating. It appeared that the fan cooling blades were clogged with lint. My understanding is the video card or CPU get so hot it cracks the solder around the video card lifting it from the motherboard. When I installed I used one of those cooper heat sink shims and I always use an external cooling pad. Is there any thing else I can do to help keep it cooler? I heard that it is a good idea to update BIOS I tried this but it did not seem to change anything. While it was updating the fan turned up real high for a min but then turned back down and has never turned back up even when I watch videos like you tube and can feel the heat coming thru the palm rest. Is there any way to turn fan on high all the time?

Watching videos doesn't tax the CPU that much, however, if you use some rendering apps, or CAD/CAM sort of applications or even some games (provided that these must be designed to use CPU intensively), you may notice difference in fan speed.

Personally I am not sure you can do much about heat related solutions of a notebook, I am using DV5 for almost a year now, and i.e. with a cooling pad; I haven't had any issues so far.

Thank you? I have been good so far using pad. Just dont want to spend another 180.00 on motherboard. I think some of the heat comes from video card also. Do you know of any way to turn fan on high? I looked in the bios but see nothing. I am a little concerned about how hot the touchpad getts.
And by the way thank you for all your help. I have learned alot.

Its an nVidia solution in that notebook right?

Edit:
As far as I know nVidia has built in fan management system in its drivers.

Uh dude... prebuilt computers shouldn't be overheating. Maybe you should research problems with the DV 6000. I think there are some problems on the web, I guess it would be a good idea to research into them.

@Alex

Unfortunately they do, and especially HP notebooks are the worst offenders. I bought this HP in April of last year along with one of my friends, very quickly we realized that these things overheat alot, reason all the vents are located underneath the notebook which is very pathetic piece of design / engineering; unfortunately despite using cooling pads to keep these notebooks bit cooler, my friend's HP died recently and is being sent for repair/replacement in warranty.

The long and the short of it is, I've stopped recommending HP notebooks to friends or anyone who ask for advice, and in last 7 or 8 months I've mostly recommended Dell's because their build quality is superior than ACERs; and they don't overheat as badly for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back