Hp pavilion dv 6115ca power issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there i have an hp pavilion dv6115ca now the problem im haveing is that one day my laptop would not start up id push the power button the lights on the laptop come on screen stays black then lights go off again and repeats the same thing over again, now ive looked around and found that if i hold my power button down until it turns off again press the power again right away holding it then let go when i see the blue led disapear where the card reader port is the laptop will boot ounce again but some times as its booting i noticed on the screen everything would be going crazy on the screen like a bad cable signal or something, so i shut it down right away again and repeat the steps to boot up until the screen loads fine. now anyone can tell me what can be possibly causeing this?? its driveing me nuts is it a power issue or a video card problem? if anyone can plz help it be greatly appreciated thank you

There's a limited amount of things to try on a laptop hardware

Detach any external devices (including all USB devices, even mouse)
Test with Battery out (Physically remove the battery and leave out)
Reseat Ram card(s) (make sure they clip back in securely)
Confirm internal fan is operational (should be able to hear it start from rear of laptop)

If problem still exists

You can test your ram with Memtest (download the ISO, burn to disc and boot from it)
Memtest should be tested for 7 Passes, if ram errors, replace it.

If problem is not Ram

This is where the hardware experience comes in !
The fault can be due to many different internal hardware faults (including CPU)
If the case is decided to be pulled apart (not literally) 1st option is to confirm all dust and debri (loose screws!) are removed.

I think you should reply back at this point !

Good luck :)

ok but just out of curiosity is there anyway it can possibly be the video card considering sometimes when it boots everythings going all scrammbled on the screen? until i get it to boot properly seems that i have to buypass something haveing to push the power button twice to get it to boot.

I was reading a post the other day about a laptop having errors booting, with possible fault screen !

So I suppose the internal inverter board inside the screen may cause this.
As a test you may wish to connect an external monitor (to back of your laptop)
And start the laptop up again (if it works always, it must be related to laptop's LCD components)

If it still errors, it still can be the laptop's screen hardware, or any other hardware. At this stage to fault diagnose can get tricky.

Actually I'll PM (Private Message a member who may know)
I'll ask him to reply here too (Note: I have no idea when he may reply)
Please, at least confirm the Ram, via Memtest (as per above recommendations)

I have PMed the other member, who may be able to shed some light (as yet he's still offline - probably too early!)

If it always works with the external monitor, it must be display related and not onboard video card

As I mentioned earlier, possibly inverter board.

Continue to use with an external monitor (although a bit difficult to pop in the bag!)
I cannot advise any further steps, except to wait, for another reply here, before pulling apart the display!

thank you, actually i have just one more question wich is dumb but i have a scratch on my laptop screen is it the actual lcd screen or is there a protector on there that might be scratched only? its a high gloss display

I'm saying the actual LCD screen, as per your question.

Actually when you receive a new laptop, you do have a protective cover, but it is easily identified and overlaps the screen. So I believe that this is the screen.

turilo, you didn't tell us about the platform of your laptop(CPU,videocard,memory), however this is important. if your laptop is covered by warranty, give the unit to them. check Fn+F4 combination. i checked about the config of your model, and i can tell, that al dv6000 series(with Turion CPUs and nvidia chipset) is BAD. there's too many fault issues with this series. in your case - it's possible that videochip is dead(LVDS interface), you probably have nvidia geforce 7200go or 7400go. currently we have 10 laptops of this series with the same problem - dead videochip. we're do replacing of videochip, but there are more problems, connected with VERY bad quality of soldering and flux components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back