Hp pavilion dv5000

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, let's start this by saying I'm not computer illiterate. A few days ago I was having a problem with the fan not rotating properly, and thus not giving as much heat relief as needed, so I took the damn thing apart & reset the fan, cleaned it all out, etc. The fan works fine now, however I think before I was able to fix the fan, something else happened that is out of my control. Here's the problem: Computer works fine for everyday activities ie: internet, aim, word, etc. When I try to watch a movie, or play a game or anything that requires any sort of graphics, the entire computer just shuts off. Now, I'm really not entirely sure as to why it would do this, there's no forewarning, no graphics errors that would indicate the video card is malfunctioning or anything like that, but I thought it might be the video card's battery. I'm gonna replace the battery anyways, because it couldn't hurt, but any other solutions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not ready for this laptop to die =(

thus, you something missed when you was cleaning your cooling system. check the heatsink carefully again, and check the air temperature which blow out from laptop. if it hot, then problem is in some other place, if it's not hot, then check again cooling system.

Yes kpalm,
you could have dislogged the CPU cooling heatsink and broken the bond between the CPU and it's heatsink. Open the laptop up once more. Remove the CPU heatsink assembly, clean off any old thermal compound or thermal pad, and apply new thermal compound

=)

thanks alot, I'll check that out. Quick question, since we're on the topic, when I took it apart yesterday, I noticed that the heatsink was no longer firmly attached with thermal glue, does it need to be reapplied every so often, and i just never knew about it? or is it ok not being secured?

Depending on the compound it'll last fine untouched for many years. If the heatsink isn't fully seated, your CPU is probably overheating and hence you experience shut downs any time load is presented.

You might be better off just cleaning the heatsink and CPU heatspreader of the old compound and applying fresh, then, reseat the heatsink entirely.

Yes once you clean off the old paste thoroughly, and apply new, it should be the last time you need to do this. Laptop CPU's run extremely hot and this tends to "bake" the thermal compound. The factory compound may not be as good as say Arctic Silver 5...

10-4

Thanks a lot guys, I'll get on that shiz right away. Hopefully this is the last thread I'll have to make about my dying laptop. Heh

ps: last question, I swear. Any suggestions as to what to use to take the old compound off?

Fixed!

you guys are gods among men. cleaned all the old thermal glue off, put on some arctic silver 5 (per suggestion, ty) and reset the heatsink. blam, workin excellent again. if there was a way to thank you via e-money, i'd give you guys millions. hah

<3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back