HP Pavilion dv8225nr BSOD. Can't boot from XP Home CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I have a HP Pavilion dv8225nr with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

Today, it boots up to a BSOD. I push F8 and all the options (Safe Mode, Last Mode that worked, etc.) all produce a BSOD. The last thing I see is it is loading "Mup.sys."

I put in the Windows Operating System CD that came with the laptop and it boots up, starts loading up all the drivers, and then it BSOD.

The code is 0x0000007E ( 0xC000005, 0x808CFF32, 0xF7CF7A20, 0xF7CF771C).

There are no USB devices installed.

How can I get this computer to boot up to something I can work with (Windows or DOS)?

I appreciate the help!

Looks like a failed hard drive that should be replaced,
But with Windows Media Center 2005 edition, it could be any of a number of hardware and software problems.
You can replace the drive yourself if you have a screw driver.

But with Windows Media Center 2005 edition, it could be any of a number of hardware and software problems.

Raybay, I'm amazed. Have you ever even bothered to understand Windows diagnostic data (like stop codes and the parameters which follow it??) before arbitrarily telling someone to replace their hard drive????

Care to explain your out-of-hand and simplistic diagnostic conclusion (that also manages to completely ignore the evidence presented by the user's Windows stop code data accompanying their system crash)???

To leaning:
Your stop code data indicates you're experiencing a Memory Access Violation
  1. To try and get to your data recovered (if it's not backed up yet) and to the Windows Recovery console See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]
  2. While one can't rule out anything for certain, the most probable places to start are checking
    >> Windows drivers
    >> Disk filesystem corruption (not disk failure!) and
    >> Memory failures
I'd start by running chkdsk /r (instructions in above mentioned link) and also see How to run Memtest

Also, have you installed any new hardware and/or drivers lately? Have you disconnected all external devices before trying to reboot? There may also be some clues to specific driver problems if we can get the event data off your Windows Event logs on your HD.

But if you start with above.. i can look into trying to recovering your event data for more clues... then please post your results from trying above

Some progress...maybe

All,

1. I downloaded and burned the Recovery Console. When it booted, it shut down to BSOD (Bad_SYstem_Config_Info 0x00000074 (Ox00000003, 0x00000002, 0x80087000, 0xC000014C).

2. I downloaded and burned ERD Commander. When it booted, it shut down to BSOD (Ox0000007E (0xC000005, 0xF73E2oA6, 0xF789EA0C, 0xF789E708). It also said pci.sys - Address F73E20A6 base@F73D1000, DateStamp 42435c86.

3. I downloaded and burned Knoppix. I saw the white splash screen with the penguin and then it just stopped (blank/black screen) and the CD wound down.

4. I downloaded and burned MemTest. It is on Pass #2, and has detected 1,625,088 errors.

From this, it looks like a bad memory stick.

1) I have never used MemTest before this. It is fairly reliable, or is there another similar program I can use to check its findings?

2) Does a bad memory stick make sense based on the BSOD's I have experienced, or can there be something else wrong that is fooling MemTest into showing all these errors?

3) Anyone know if HP has a lifetime warranty on memory? We bought the computer around 2005-2006.

4) Anyone know if any of the big box stores test laptop memory? (There used to be a place in Virginia that you can walk in with your sticks and they would slap it into this device that would tell you whether it was good or bad. )

That's about all the questions I have. Unless I get other suggestions, I plan on buying some memory (or using HP's replacement policy if it qualifies) and see if that fixes all this. I appreciate everyone's help with the troubleshooting!

VR/leaning

Yes, a bad memory module is the most common cause of a BSOD... followed by video graphics, cooling fans, audio ports, and other hardware failures... but it is certainly the easiest to fix.

The real question is what is the brand and model and how long was the warranty...

The big box stores do not test memory adequately, because a thorough test takes four hours or longer.

Yes, a bad memory module is the most common cause of a BSOD... followed by video graphics, cooling fans, audio ports, and other hardware failures... but it is certainly the easiest to fix.

The real question is what is the brand and model and how long was the warranty...

The big box stores do not test memory adequately, because a thorough test takes four hours or longer.

1) The most common cause of a BSOD is to be determined based on the BSOD stop code data! Period.

2) Raybay: You should really first learn how to diagnose Windows and software vs. arbitrarily telling people to start replacing hardware (tho i'm sure the "sledge-hammer" approach is a much simpler and more profitable approach from a repair shop's point-of-view)

Leaning

My best advice for where to start:
1) Check your manual to learn how to remove and then re-seat your current memory cards to assure they are fully inserted and continuing to make good contact. Then re-try Memtest

2) I don't know/couldn't tell you what the box stores do as to any testing..but would suggest you find a store with a good return policy so you can buy it, replace it and test it yourself. (But Memtest yielding all those errors says to me
>> Re-seat current memory
>> Make sure current memory is up to your PC vendor mfr's spec
>> If you need to buy new memory check the return policy. For that matter you might see what mem configs are possible on your computer. Then (for example - you might -if makes sense and depending on your mem config needs) only buy one stick of memory. Test with it to prove new memory fixes the problem. Then buy other sticks. (But AGAIN that depends on your machine and If it allows you to add memory that way. So double check its mem requirements first)

Memtest86 is the best free memory tester out there.
It will not run if the memory is not properly seated, assuming you rant if for four to seven passes that took four hours.
You can re-run the memory test on one module at a time, and exchange the slots...
but I suspect you have the information you need... Buy your memory from www.crucial.com or www.directron.com or other reputable vendor, and see what happens.
If the memory came with the laptop. you have part of the answer, but if you added additional modules of a different brand or rating, you could have problems.. but still it would not fail the Memtest86

Not only is re-seating your memory just good common, simple and basic sense when double checking for memory issues... but reminds me (again, based on if your computer specs allow it and how your computer allows memory config) you might also try simply moving your memory to a different memory slot.

It was the RAM!

All,

My wife's (Pavilion) and my (Acer) laptop both take the same memory (PC2700, DDR, 333MHz, 2.5v). So, I took out both of her 512MB and put in one of my 1GB sticks.

Windows booted up normally to her desktop. :)

So it was the memory all along (either became unseated or went bad).

Thanks to all for your help. Memory is cheap and there are rebates out there all the time, so I am just going to max out her RAM (2BG), get my stick back, and then all will be good.

Thanks to everyone for your help! I like that MemTest is one of those pre-OS programs (loads up before it ever gets to Windows), so that is definitely a keeper CD to have around, along with Knoppix.

Thanks again!

VR/leaning

Leaning: Great! Good news :grinthumb

Sure am glad you didn't simply go run out to buy that new hard drive! Why you'd still be trying to figure out how Windows Media Center made any difference in the issue (which, btw, (based on the info you reported, neither hard drive failure nor Windows Media were near the top of the "things to do/test/fix" list as having anything to do with the BSOD's you reported)

Moral of the story: Is good to understand Windows diagnostic data and BSOD stuff before trying to fix (or telling other people how to fix) problems! (Just a thought... but kinda scary to think that an unwary consumer might walk into a computer repair store that doesn't understand it or bother to consider the data themselves before issuing advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back