TechSpot

HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC WiFi network not working

By Hematuria
Oct 25, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Before going to work this morning I put my computer on hibernate, when I came back my wifi networking was down. It is not that I am connected to a network but cannot open internet, my wifi network does not start up. The little red light does not turn blue! I have no idea why it is not working, any suggestions appreciated.

2. ComputerGuy55

ComputerGuy55 TS Maniac Posts: 531

Hey, reasons for the light not to turn blue could be a problem with the physical hardware itself, being that it somehow shorted or something along those lines.

Another reason could be that it is not being supplied power, once a computer goes into hibernation mode it is given the right to stop power to that device, and possibly once starting back up, there was no power given to the Wireless? Have you tried to shutdown the computer normally and try it again? Another reason would be that the wireless settings and everything are all controlled by a service, and maybe the service failed to start. Rather then get you to go to the exact spot and try and turn on the service, just restart the computer. If that doesn't work and you want to try and manually start the service, reply back that you would like to do so and I will try and step you through it.

Other things to try - Reinstall the drivers for the wireless adapter, you will need to go to HP's website, type in your DV9500 as well as the other numbers on the bottom of the laptop on a white sticker, located near your prodocut key usually...

if you are comfortable with opening the laptop up, on the bottom side of the laptop, one of the covers will likely have the wireless card in side, it is connected by 2 wires, a black and a white, if you go to take the card out remember where each cord goes. You can take the card out, boot up the computer, shut it down, reseat the card, and boot up the computer, see if anything comes up..

WARNING: If attempting to remove the wireless adapter card, please be aware that if the card is not damaged, you could damage the card, make sure you are grounded when working inside of the laptop, as well make sure that there is NO POWER to the laptop, this means Remove both the battery and the power cord..

Nothing else comes to mind of what it could be...

If you can't get it to work, try safe mode with networking, if still nothing, I would suggest to bring it to a shop to see if they have a way to test the physical card in a similar laptop or possibly have a new card to test in yours..

EDIT: This is something I found on the Mobile section of this forum where a fix was found on other HP Dv**** Models,

WARNING:Please read the full post that suggests the fix, as it does warn that this CAN cause further damage. This test raises the computers core temperature as well as other components to try and warm them up if there are any cold joints on it, But may damage components due to high temperatures. WARNING
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic130484.html

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.