TechSpot

HP Pavilion won't take operating system on new hard drive

By cableman
Feb 21, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I had to replace the hard drive in my sisters hp pavilion dv5000 laptop and I can't get any windows version installed. I have installed os's before but these hp's are aggravating.

It originally came with windows media center 2005 but all the operating systems I download won't work. I know how to burn an iso image properly but I don't think these that I have downloaded are true oem isos because I keep getting the message that this is not a genuine installation disc.

It will format and try to start installing but won't fully install because of this problem.

I eventually get the message "NTLDR is missing" . Can anyone help? To order an original media center installation disc will cost around $100.00 and I am becoming unsure if that will work so I need some advice. Please help. Thanks in advance
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,757   +157

Any XP version install disc will work with this laptop. You must create an .iso image from a known good source, like an actual XP install CD. "NTLDR is missing" means that the hard drive is not bootable because of a corrupted Master Boot Record. Make sure that the hard drive is good
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.