HP Pavillion dv5 won't turn on

terry5880

hi all I tried taking battery off tried just charger etc but wont turn on could someone help on where to start to try find problem its got no hard drive in it as I bought it 2nd hand with out a hard drive in it .. thanks in advance

Do you see anything on the screen when you switch on? Any fan noise? It should start briefly then find the hard drive missing, as long as there is power(?)

Pull out the memory, and try just 1 stick if there are 2, then remove the hard drive and see if you get any activity at all. If not, the motherboard may be toast

hi bud I bought it with out a hard drive when I got it home it had no h/d in it and the bit that the harddrive connect to is missing to like the little pin bit could that stop it from turning on .. if not then how can I tell what part is causing it not to switch on if internal or does it need to go in shop ? thanks

hi all since last post I opened it up unplugged and re plugged all wires in used compressed air to blow away any dust then tried 1 stick of ram in both slots all over but nothing no power at all is this def a motherboard prob or is it best to put it in shop also THE CONNECTOR FOR THE HARD DRIVE IS MISSING TO THEY MUST OF TOOK IT WITH THE HARD DRIVE WOULD THAT CAUSE IT NOT TO TURN ON ouch sorry about caps

I change a lot of laptop motherboards. EBay is a good source of used laptop parts. Don't be afraid to use these "used" parts. They are good, and there is no reason they can't last for years. If you aren't confident enough to replace a laptop motherboard, a computer repair facility can do it for you

I just looked on ebay and they had 1 which was faughty lol just worried as dont wanna buy a motherboard then thats not the prob lol

Okay Terry5880,
the motherboard part number starts with a 48XXX-XXX something and it is usually located under or around the laptops memory. Using this number should give you better EBay search results

ok thanks its in shop as I take alot to them they quote for free so when I find out what problekm is then ill decide thanks again

hi all right its come out of shop with them saying they done all tests and motherboard is totally dead so where do I go from here as they want £180 which I cant afford .. should I buy a 2nd hand mb from ebay . also do I then need to get cpu gpu etc or do they come on the board as not to sure on laptops can someone run me through what I need to do cheers

If the CPU is socketed and the GPU is integrated into the motherboard, you can use the original CPU, and memory. Good used motherboards are better than the expensive new boards. Just use PayPal and EBay does have good buyer protection. Go for a top-rated seller

thanks so much magic could you help me find one in few days as not sure what looking for with mother boards

I'll need that part number that I asked you for already. It will be in the memory compartment most likely

yep I will do that tomorrow bud as waiting for it to come back from shop about 1pm then ill open and get number

also they said the bezzle was open abit so they not sure if screen works either plus then I need to get hard drive and the connector for it .. so do u think I should just sell as spares ?

ok magic on what u said fuurther up u was right that make and model all had manufacturer probs they all got like heating problems so if I was to fix it is there another motherboard etc I could use as dont want same problem etc bud

Guys, I'm having a problem with our HP DV 1225ee.. everytime I press the power button, function lights lit for about less than a second, I've tried several combinations like removing RAM and HD and battery, even cleaning the cpu fan its still not working properly.. anyone can suggest or tell me what's wrong with this??

Back