HP Pavillion DV6700 will not start, no BIOS screen just black

Arfer

I powered down the machine yesterday (Shut Down) and now this morning the computer will not boot.
When I try to boot the machine the BIOS screen does not appear, the HD light flickers on but then stays off. All other lights on the machine are on as normal. The fan kicks in within 30 seconds and sounds like it's running at maximum revs.
I did a hard reset and reseated the HD and the RAM and replaced the RTC battery without fixing the issue.
I will disassemble the unit and make sure the fan is not clogged, in the meantime does anyone have any thoughts ?
TIA
Arfer

I had a friends Toshiba that had the same behavior. I pulled the hard drive and recovered the data he needed. Next, I decided to disassemble it to it's smallest pieces. The cooling fins on the processor heat sink were pretty much plugged. Interestingly when I removed the heat sink the thermal paste had turned to powder. The processor was toast. Since, I have had 3 laptops of different brands (one a 1 year old ASUS) that began being flaky and after the usual scans that came up clean, I disassembled them, cleaned out the dust, pulled the heat sinks cleaned, and applied new thermal paste. Fixed!. I wouldn't have believed it but it was so.
I'm not suggesting dismantling as an early step but after ruling out BIOS, software, or malware it is an option.

Back