HP Pavillion p6565uk (no mods) - frequent BSODs

jlctush

Hey guys
I've been suffering a lot of BSoDs on my PC recently (as stated above, it's a HP Pavillion p6565uk) and I can't for the life of me work out why. I've opened it up and cleaned up the dust, I've not installed any new hardware or software so I'm assuming it's a hardware error but I don't know how (or if) I can work out what is broken. I've attached the last 4 minidump files, if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd seriously appreciate it.

Cheers
John

Attachments

• 091512-54397-01.zip
    92.6 KB · Views: 2
Sorry, forgot to mention, it's Win7 64bit. Had the PC for just shy of 2 years so it's old enough (and used enough) to be struggling I guess, but I hoped it'd last a bit longer! Will try memtest now (running 3x2Gb so I'll try it with all 3 and then try each stick individually to be sure).
Gaming causing a BSoD within 5 minutes (anything from TF2 to Magicka, Audiosurf, basically anything beyond minesweeper) but it also happens randomly when I'm just browsing the net and once or twice when I've not been doing anything at all, it BSoD'd yesterday when AVG was running a Low Priority scan and nothing else was being used, so to be honest I'm not sure what sets it off (although am I right to guess the gaming bit suggests GPU or RAM?). Got the old family PC so if the memtest passes I'll check to see if the GPU is compatible and switch it out to see if that fixes it.

Cheers,
John

I can't run memtest right now (I don't have a CD to hand and I can't get it to boot from a memory stick) but I did run the Windows memory test, did 7 passes and found no errors, I can try and run memtest but it won't be until Thursday (moving to a new flat, where I am there's no chance of me getting a disc!) so I guess for now I'll just have to try and cope with random BSoDs :(

Cheers for the help though, I'll report back once I've run memtest

John

Managed to get memtest to boot from USB, ran it 3 times and it reported no errors. Turns out I can't try the GPU from the old family PC either so I'm a bit stuck now, had another BSoD earlier (played some TF2 to force one, was checking to see if removing the side of the PC and cooling it down helped, it didn't) so I've attached that minidump file just in case it says anything new.

Cheers
John

Attachments

• 091712-55785-01.zip
    10.9 KB · Views: 1
HAL. dll= Hardware Abstraction Layer... Could be as problem with the motherboard chipset drivers

Is there a way to find that out? I'm pretty certain I've got the latest drivers, should I try to redownload them or something?

(Also, read the sticky post about BSoDs, so I tried resetting the pagefile as it suggests, that also didn't work).

Cheers
John

I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from AMD and the problem persists! I've attached the last 2 minidumps (one from after I reset the pagefile, the other from after the new chipset drivers) just in case they say anything new. Thanks again for all the help, I really do appreciate it, I'm sorry I keep coming back with failures!!

Cheers
John

Attachments

• 091812-32729-01.zip
    21.7 KB · Views: 3
Same minidumps with hal.dll and no bug check string. How much memory do you have installed and how many memory sticks?

3x2Gb DDR3 sticks, is it worth trying different combos of 2 to see if that fixes the problem?

Cheers
John

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've moved house and don't have internet here! I tried every combination of 1/2 sticks and the error persisted, does this confirm it isn't RAM or just make it very very unlikely? Not sure where I can go from here, for now I'm just trying to avoid using the PC for anything too resource-heavy, can't afford to get it examined by professionals so I guess I'm stuck!

Cheers
John

Well, just for reference, if you get any new minidumps keep posting them. Have you run a check on the hard drive by going to computer, and right-clicking on the C drive? Select properties, tools, check now. Put a check mark in both boxes to set a disk check on the next start up

Back