HP pavillion zv5000 - bad DC adapter jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

strategic

Hi there, I just happened to stumble upon this site (thanks to Google :) ). It seems that this problem with the DC adapter jack is quite common on these computers which puzzles me when I try to figure out why HP doesn't have the XC1000 cable no longer available. I have a zv5000 series notebook and although it's done it's work, it is still quite reliable for the kids. If I knew about the XC 1000 cable 2 years ago when the problem started, I would have bought one in a hurry. The problem initially wasn't a broken solder connection, it was due to the jack being 'tapered', so I made a 'paper thin' sleeve to go over the adapter end so it would prevent it from touching the plastic tip (at least it lasted for a while - 2 years).
Can anyone out there please let me know where I can obtain a XC1000 cable or dock for this computer?
Thanks in advance! :)

Try Ebay. The problem with laptops is the fact that the metal/plastic connector that is around the power input gets shaved, bent, or broken. Your situation seems to be the shaved. The contacts arent touching fully and is not able to provide the correct ammount of power to the laptop. This could be either INSIDE the jack, or INSIDE the power adapters port. If it is the port, you should be fine going to walmart and picking up a universal power adapter for about 20 dollars. If it is the Laptops port, then you need to go to a radioshack or possibly order it from the manufacturer to re-solder on. Let us know what you can observe.

Thank you for your reply "gavinseabrook". I have tried swapping adapters between 2 laptops. To keep it short, the adapters (chargers) are fine. I am convinced that the problem is in the jack itself on the laptop (after numerous checks and experiments). If you hold it a certain way, it''s fine - the slightest twitch you lose it. I have found an XC1000 cable on ebay, which I am monitoring closely. Has anyone tried to re-solder these jacks on to the Mother Board? It seems like they try to scare you away from the idea. I have a temperature controlled soldering iron, so I should be okay for that...

Indeed, see if you can find a power jack (internal connection) and just re-solder the new one on. It is not scary at all. Just heat up the lead on the bottom of it and rock it back and forth till it comes out, then solder the new one :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back