HP readies up to 200,000 TouchPads in final production run

Shawn Knight

Staff member

HP is said to be producing one final run of their discontinued TouchPad tablet to the tune of up to 200,000 units. The company had previously hinted that there could be more tablets on the way to satisfy customer demand, but DigiTimes (via PreCentral) says that is only half the story.

A second and likely final wave of TouchPads is expected in late October with anywhere between 100,000 to 200,000 units being produced. The reason for another production run has little to do with meeting customer demand and a lot more to do with clearing out excess inventory from component suppliers.

HP likely signed agreements with multiple part suppliers and breaching those contracts would be a costly endeavor. Furthermore, HP wouldn’t want to burn bridges with suppliers for future production, granted they decide to keep their PC business.

The DigiTimes article also notes that HP has taken delivery of 800,000 to 900,000 TouchPads since its inception. That’s a far cry from the millions of iPads that Apple has sold, but PreCentral believes that by the time that production finally halts for good, it's possibly enough for the number two spot ahead of any single Android tablet.

If you haven’t heard by now, HP discontinued their TouchPad tablet after less than two months on the market. A sharp drop in price to $99 for the 16GB model and $149 for the 32GB model sparked a fire sale that saw tablets fly off store shelves at a record pace. HP addressed many common questions on their blog last week and has even started giving away select TouchPad apps.

Permalink to story.

If I could get my hands on an HP tablet this second batch around for $150... I probably would.

where did you order it? Did you pre-order for the release scheduled in october? I'd like to get in for that price..

@heyscotttt, there are no pre-orders, HP took down their email notification page about a week ago after having so many people sign up for the alert.

heyscotttt said:
anyone know if they accept pre-orders anywhere?

What guest said, I believe they will be sending out notifications to those individuals first on the e-mail list. And this time around they will be limiting how many you can purchase to discourage resellers as well.

Cool. I got one and a xoskins screen protector to make it last. I will probably pic one up for my wife too. I hope it goes for $100 again.

heyscotttt said:
where did you order it? Did you pre-order for the release scheduled in october? I'd like to get in for that price..

I got it from Tigerdirect.ca but its now unavailable since last week.

I'd ordered a 32gb unit on 8/22..... today HP billed my CC and sent a email that it will ship in 4-6 weeks...wish my new toy would arrive sooner.

When the firesale started I went down to my local Costco and snapped up eight of the 32 gig babies. I didnt know it was a good deal. I sold 3 on the local craigs list for $350 and people snapped them up. I will come by again when the next wave come and snap up a handful

Back