HP reload problem

computerguy4

I installed XP Pro on a friends computer. The install went fine. I then downloaded the drivers and put them on my flashdrive. As I started to install them I came to the BIOS driver. After installing it the computer asked to restart so I did. When it tried to turn back on it will not boot. It gets stuck at the HP start screen. It will not regognize the keyboard or mouse and will also not recognize the dvd drive. I can't reload it again and can't figure out where to go with it. Any suggestions?

When you say BIOS driver do you mean you updated the BIOS itself, like you flashed the BIOS with a newer revision?
Did you save the old version before flashing to the new?
Can you reflash to the older version now or are you not able to get back to that point?
Are you able to clear the BIOS or get into it at all?

I agree with JMMD, when you flash an HP to a newer version it will ask for a USB to save the old BIOS to, you should be able to recoup using that. If not HP has a BIOS ustility for most of their products and directions.
What kind of HP is it?

Its an HP Pavillion a1328x. After I finished installing windows I went to HP website and downloaded all of the drivers for that model. One was listed under BIOS. That is what I installed. Now it boots to the HP screen but completely locks up I can't do anything. It didn't have me save anything before I ran that BIOS driver so I don't have anything to go back to, can't anyway since it is locked up. Thanks.

You can try looking in the manuals which have a link on the page where the drivers are and see if they talk about clearing the BIOS. You may be able to reset it back to default settings using a jumper on the motherboard or by removing the battery for some period of time.

What you installed is not a driver and should be treated differently. What you did was flash the BIOS to a new version which can occasionally go wrong and should not normally be done unless there's a specific reason for doing so. I've never had an issue in the past but many people do.

On some motherboards to clear the BIOS, reset it to defaults, you move a jumper from it's current location to say one pin over. It refers to pins on the motherboard with a plastic shunt over them that makes an electrical connection.

You can do a Google image search for motherboard jumper if you're curious about what it looks like.

this motherboard had two blue shunts. i moved them both over one pin and started the computer. I then shut it down and moved them back to their original position. Started the computer back up and the same thing happened.

Back