HP Support Assistant

By TechM633
May 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Question for everyone. I work as a bench tech for a local computer store. I repair and build build computers as well as consult with customers about their computers. I have been told that HP support assistant is actually useful software. At risk of sounding ignorant, I have always been under the impression that it was pretty much junk software from HP and removed it along with a lot of other junk software that comes with the new computers like PDF complete, Norton Internet Security (60-day trial), etc.

But I have a couple guys here though that are swearing up and down that HP Support assistant works better when trying to get drivers for a new HP computer, rather than just going straight to HP's website because, "HP's website doesn't have the most updated drivers". I am having a hard time swallowing this, so I thought I would ask around. What say ye? I would appreciate some answers! :)
  2. KathyJ

KathyJ Newcomer, in training Posts: 64

I can't really say personally yet because I haven't had my computer but 2 months. But, if it is software that has been installed on HP computers for years, then I haven't missed it because I have been purchasing HP computers for a long time. When I got this one, I searched the programs I was suspicious of, and HP Support Assistant, was one of them. Everything I read leaned more toward "didn't need it" so I uninstalled it. Time will tell I guess but their web site has always worked for me in the past when I needed drivers, etc.
    jobeard likes this.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,013   +220

I did the same for my first Toshiba and again now for my Dell upgrade.

Go to Services and disable any/all that contain {Dell, Toshiba, HP, ...}

You can always go to the vendors website to get drivers and updates manually.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.