HP taking Envy 14 Spectre pre-orders, ships February 17

Shawn Knight

Staff member

HP has started taking pre-orders for their Envy 14 Spectre Ultrabook that debuted last month at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Starting at $1,399, the Spectre won a Best of CES 2012 award from CNET and was one of the most unique Ultrabook designs of the show.

The Envy 14 Spectre is highlighted by Corning Gorilla Glass on the outer lid, screen and palm rest that not only protects against scratches but also acts as a barrier against heat transfer. As we noted during our brief time with the Spectre at CES, HP reduced the size of the bezel in order to fit the larger 14” screen into a smaller than normal space. Termed an “Infinity” display, this method gives the illusion of less wasted space and an even larger display.

Another feature that is sure to get people excited is the return of HP’s Radiance Display operating at a resolution of 1600 x 900. HP offered the Radiance Display on earlier models but it had since been discontinued simply because the company wasn’t able to acquire the requisite number of panels to support it.

The base model on HP’s website ships with an Intel Core i5-2467M, a 128GB solid state drive, 4GB of DDR3 memory, Intel HD graphics 3000 and up to 9.5 hours of battery life on a single charge. Upgrades are available for some components including up to a Core i7 processor and 256GB of SSD storage.

Orders are scheduled to ship on February 17.

Permalink to story.

Just to be clear, this laptop does NOT come with 1600 x 900 display and there is no option to even get the 1600x900 display. All Envy 14 Spectre's at this time come with the crappy 1366x768 resolution.

P.S. Techspot, why did you even mention 1600x900 in this article when it has nothing to do with this laptop.

@inventix1136 - When I click on the link in the article that takes me to the HP website, it very clearly states that is DOES come with the 1600x900 display "A 14" diagonal, super-thin (20mm) HD+ Radiance Infinity LED-backlit display§ (1600 x 900) supplying accurate color, wide viewing angles, and a clean, flush-glass look".

don't be too harsh on Guest as his reading comprehension may not be up to par :/

In talking about this laptop, the article clearly states:
"Another feature that is sure to get people excited is the return of HP’s Radiance Display operating at a resolution of 1600 x 900."

inventix1136 said:
Just to be clear, this laptop does NOT come with 1600 x 900 display and there is no option to even get the 1600x900 display. All Envy 14 Spectre's at this time come with the crappy 1366x768 resolution.

P.S. Techspot, why did you even mention 1600x900 in this article when it has nothing to do with this laptop.

The Envy 14 Spectre WILL have a radiance display option.

HP said:
The HP Spectre’s high-definition (HD)(1) HP Radiance Display offers some of the industry’s highest resolution and richest color for better brightness and wider viewing angles than traditional notebook displays.
Source: http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2012/120109a.html

14" diagonal HD+ Radiance LED backlit display3 in a 13.3" chassis
Source: http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/envy14-spectre/specifications.html#.TzMATlyXS5I

I'd also like to point out that the "HD+" is 1600x900, or at least it has been on the other notebooks, since press release didn't go out of its way to state that.

Now simmer down...

Back