HP to launch 18.4" Core i7-equipped desktop replacement, Pavilion dv8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

HP has officially unveiled the new Pavilion dv8 Core i7-based desktop replacement. The notebook carries a massive 18.4" 1080p HD display, a 1.6GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB of DDR3 RAM (supports up to 8GB), an Nvidia GeForce GT 230M with 1GB of dedicated VRAM, dual 320GB 7200RPM HDDs, and a Lightscribe Blu-ray drive.

As one would expect from an 18.4" notebook, the HP Pavilion dv8 is brimming with connectivity and functionality. It features a five-in-one digital media reader, an ExpressCard slot, 802.11a/g/n support, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth, a webcam, four USB 2.0 (one shared with an eSATA port) and one IEEE 1394, VGA and HDMI-out, TV tuner, two headphone-out, one mic-in, a remote control infrared port (with remote control), and a four-cell battery. Other extras include a full sized keyboard, as well as an integrated finger print reader and subwoofer.

The Pavilion dv8 weighs 4.06kg (just shy of 9lbs) -- certainly a heifer, but I expected worse, frankly. HP backs it with a one-year warranty, and it will arrive in UK stores on October 22 with a price of £1,300 (about $2,000). There is no word on US availability.

Permalink to story.

Is the 1.6ghz i7 a typo? Wouldn't want to replace my desktop with a 1.6 even if it does have 4 cores and 8 hyperthreaded

Even with 1.6ghz, I have to think that the four cell battery is included just so you will have to spend more on a better one once you actually use it. Despite the cost I still am in favor of laptop screens breaking the 17'' barrier.

looks good, but wont buy 1 in next half year, need to make sure it wont overheat, battery die, and what other bad things HP notebooks do

Given HP's track record on its Core i7 desktops (random freezes, lockups, and blue screens of death that it has known about for several months but continues to fail to be able to fix), I will be avoiding these machines.

Very strange, not a performance desktop replacement with a 1.6ghz. Interesting to see who buys these.

Problem, there is no tuner! See http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/321957-321957-3329744-64354-64354-4011373-4034202.html

What you forget is that this core i7 works at 2.8 GHz when less than 2 cores are used! It is called something like the turbo boost mode I think.

More, this spec costs £900 in the US! Basically, UK customers are ripped off big time by the crooks at the helm of HP UK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back