TechSpot

HP to lead the netbook comeback with its Stream 14 notebook

By Shawn Knight
Aug 18, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Last month we got word that Microsoft was going on the offensive and that we could expect to see the netbook make a return by the end of the year. That prophecy is one step closer to becoming a reality...

Read more

2. Gaara

Gaara TS Rookie Posts: 66

Deal!!!

3. Yeah!!!

4. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 536   +149

Meh, I don't like HP as a brand. Always seems to easily break in annoying ways...

5. The picture is of a samsung laptop

6. Arent netbooks dead already and replaced by tablets?
    microsoft should just push all that connectivity into tablets/docks

7. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 981   +31

Calling a 14" laptop a netbook is somewhat strange, but 'netbook' was never well defined, so I guess it's possible to fit this laptop into some definition of 'netbook'. Still confusing, apparently.

There are things tablets aren't good enough for and laptops are, especially 14" laptops, which are much more comfortable to type on.

Still, in the long run I think it would make more sense to have a (wirelessly) dockable tablet than tablet + cheap laptop. At the end of the day though that won't save tons of money, so there's a chance that the laptop will have its own minimum processing specs, like this one.

8. Looks good, obviously it's not going to be a powerhouse at $199 I'm surprised they snuck an SSD and a quad core CPU into it, though I can see that paltry 2GB of RAM becoming a problem. I'm glad they didn't settle for an atom.

9. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,323   +101

As long as this is light I can see a market for it, specially at that price point.

Now, if they make it into the 12" form factor I'm totally in.

This sounds more like a "net"book that before when they were small size entry level notebooks. They began like "net"books with the EEE offering from Asus but quickly turned into -again- small sized entry level notebooks with hdd.

10. With Windows 8 it will be sloooooowwww!

11. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,323   +101

It's fast enough for the tasks it will be used with a ssd and 2 gigs of ram.

12. Funny you'd say that, everyone can gripe about the metro UI and such but Windows 8 performance is solid, it boots up faster than 7 and uses less memory. I can attest that my Windows 8.1 laptop actually feels more responsive at times than my beefier Windows 7 desktop.

13. That's an eMMC drive, not SSD. Waaaay slower than SSD. You also won't have much space left, especially on the 32GB model. Windows install + swap file + applications + updates (watch that winsxs folder grow). ChromeOS is totally optimized for low power devices. It's updates are small and silent, and even 16GB is fine for most things. Netbooks caused a lot of damage in the 'race to the bottom' mentaility vendors had. Microsoft may feel they have no choice but to compete with Google at the low end, but it's not a place MS want to be.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.