HP to release new webOS phones in early 2011

Emil

Staff

Hewlett-Packard plans to introduce new smartphones in early 2011 running on webOS. "You will see us coming early next year with new phones," Senior Vice President Eric Cador told an industry conference in Barcelona, quoted by Reuters. He didn't offer further details on the devices, not even what version of webOS they would run, but it's worth noting the plural use of the word "phone." It's also interesting to speculate on what carrier they will available, given that HP will have much more negotiating power than Palm ever did.

Ever since HP acquired Palm for $1.2 billion three months ago, webOS fans were wondering what would happen to their beloved mobile OS. Rumors that devices would be coming soon kept cropping up, but HP would not say much. Sure, we knew for a long time that a webOS tablet was in the works, but there was nothing to indicate that smartphones were also on the table. Now we've got a timeframe. Bring on the leaks!

Permalink to story.

I just got a palm pre. If there are new webOS versions do you think they will be compatible with it?

princeton said:
I just got a palm pre. If there are new webOS versions do you think they will be compatible with it?
What version of webOS did it come with? I'm not sure if you'll be able to upgrade to 2.0 or not.

Back