HP TouchPad appears on Amazon, sans pricing

Emil

Staff

You can't order it yet, and there are no pricing details, but the HP TouchPad has appeared on Amazon (via Pre Central). The specifications show that this is the Wi-Fi version, which will be the first to hit the market:

• 9.7" (1024x768) Touch Screen Display; 1.6lbs; 13.6mm thick
  • HP webOS Mobile Operating System; Dual Core 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon Processor; 1 GB RAM
  • 16GB/32GB Storage; Wireless 802.11bgn; Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR; Flash support
  • 1.3 MP Front-facing Camera – video chatting capability; HP Beats Audio Technology
  • Accessories: TouchPad stand and Bluetooth keyboard

Although it doesn't say it above, the tablet comes with webOS 3.0, which features a paneled e-mail application, a pop-up notification system like Growl, Skype support, wireless printing, calendar and e-mail integration via HP Synergy, as well as compatibility with Amazon's Kindle ebook store, Google Docs, QuickOffice, and more. For more specification details, check out our article from last month.

In slightly related news, the Vietnamese website Tinhte has got its hands on a prototype of the HP Touchpad, which shows a SIM card slot:

Since Amazon has not revealed a price, we're going to have to wait till HP does, or until someone decides to leak it. How much would you be willing to pay?

Permalink to story.

Unless it's priced lower than the ipad 2 I'll pick up the ipad 2. Nobody(except HTC fans) will pay a premium for crapdragon cpus.

Zero dollars, and one cent. Ok, realistically they'll probably have to price it at $399 or even $379 or $349 to compete, considering their app store is smaller, the OS is less refined, and they don't generally offer anything more than the iPad except usb. Of course, that doesn't take into account the general stupidity of the marketplace and consumers' willingness to shell out money without doing research. Then again, HP is still a solid name in desktops and laptops, so maybe they don't need to offer more at a lower price to break into the market. Anyone know how this did at CES?

if one just wants to browse the web, this or even honeycomb tablets are superior since they implement flash.

though ipad is a more attractive option, the absence of flash is a worthy sacrifice for a much lower priced tablet, with significantly more apps.

dedparrot said:
if one just wants to browse the web, this or even honeycomb tablets are superior since they implement flash.

though ipad is a more attractive option, the absence of flash is a worthy sacrifice for a much lower priced tablet, with significantly more apps.

Also the fact that a $5 browser app allows you to play flash in browsers using conversion.

Princeton said:
Also the fact that a $5 browser app allows you to play flash in browsers using conversion.

Really? Thanks for posting that. I didn't know that. But how is the browsing experience with that browser app? That's the other big thing. Still, thanks for sharing.

matrix86 said:
Princeton said:

Really? Thanks for posting that. I didn't know that. But how is the browsing experience with that browser app? That's the other big thing. Still, thanks for sharing.

I haven't tried that browser app personally but I have heard that there are a lot of issues with it and that it will not play all content.

Back