TechSpot

HP TouchPad price slashed by $100 this weekend, Staples offers another $100 off

By Emil
Aug 5, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hewlett-Packard is either getting desperate or feeling really generous lately. After slashing the HP TouchPad price by $50 until September 10, 2011, the company has decided to cut another $50…

Read the whole story

2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Damn, I wish I wasn't broke. I think $300 is a perfect price for this device, realistically speaking.

3. Just so you know, that $100 off staples coupon is not valid.

4. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 795   +17

We're in the same boat. I just invested $550 in a new laptop for my projects, I have a car repair coming up. Bad timing, Staples and HP :p

5. No coupon from Staples is ever valid. =/

6. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,142   +69

Is it even from Staples?

7. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,924   +548

webosroundup has apparently confirmed that Staples will honor the coupon, at $300 the tablet looks tempting though Android Honeycomb devices have been available for $395 retail for a few weeks now.

Our HP TouchPad review: http://www.techspot.com/review/425-hp-touchpad/

8. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Having owned a Pre for 2 years now, the Touchpad felt very comfortable to me. I think that by the time the Windows 8 tablets come out, I'll probably make my decision about getting a full blown tablet, but for now $300 would be a perfect price point for one to play around with for the next 16 months.

I am sure that it does the basic functions very well, so basically e-mail, texting, internet, video and media. But due to the relative dearth of applications, you may end up doing not too much more than that, and $500 is just a bit too much. But it would be $300 to me to get that kind of functionality.

Regarding this rebate, I think they're trying to get hype for the product to spur sales. I'm sure Staples only has a few each, its not as if they're going to sell tens of thousands, but some people may be willing to just go for the $400 price. But I've always thought that $300 would be a good price for a decent tablet like this of this size.

9. Just so you know I just got mine at Best Buy and they gave me the extra "Staples" $100 off. So, might I suggest you only state "for me" vs it is not so, as they say it is better to be thought a fool then to open your mouth and prove it...

While I was going for the 16gb, it has no SD_slot so after $200's off I got the 32GB version for $399. As soon as I turned it on it asked if the new update should be downloaded, dud, I click on it and have the latest version, As I was only interested in the video chat, Email, and watching movies it is OK, I might take it back if any of the Good Android tabs come down in price. 14 days to trade and then make the call.

10. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

Thankyou Techspot... got me one of them right after work. I worked for it... had to walk a few miles... but I plan to use it as a dev machine to play with the Web OS SDK. If HP pushes this in all future products it will have a good size userbase.

11. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 TS Rookie Posts: 59

I got OfficeMax to give me the extra $100 off w/ the Staples coupon as well, $299 for the 16gb tablet is pretty sweet :)

I opted to not get the 32gb one b/c it comes with free 50gb of box.net storage for life :)