HP TouchPad price slashed by $100 this weekend, Staples offers another $100 off

Emil

Staff

Hewlett-Packard is either getting desperate or feeling really generous lately. After slashing the HP TouchPad price by $50 until September 10, 2011, the company has decided to cut another $50 off just for this weekend: August 5, 2011 to August 7, 2011. In other words, you can grab the 16GB model for $400 and the 32GB model for $500. Oh, actually woot is offering the former for $385 (today only).

It gets better though. webOSroundup has dug up a $100 Staples coupon (in-store only) for a total of $200 off the original price. So you can get the 16GB model for $300 and the 32GB model for $400, if all goes well. Now the question is: are you going to go for this deal, or wait for the HP TouchPad 4G?

The HP TouchPad is a 9.7-inch slate (1024 x 768 resolution), powered by a dual-core 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon APQ8060 processor, 16GB or 32GB of built-in storage, 1GB of RAM, HP's Beats audio, a micro-USB 2.0 port, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, a front-mounted 1.3MP camera, as well as a light sensor, gyroscope, accelerometer, compass, and GPS (3G model only). It measures 242 x 190 x 13.7mm and weighs around 740g. The device is running a WebOS 3.0 with true multitasking, Flash 10.1, a paneled e-mail application, a pop-up notification system like Growl, Skype support, wireless printing, calendar and e-mail integration via HP Synergy, as well as compatibility with Amazon's Kindle ebook store, Google Docs, QuickOffice, and more.

The HP TouchPad was released in the US on July 1, 2011. The device is available from US retailers, commercial resellers, and direct from HP with the option of either 16GB ($500.00 normally, less with rebates and discounts) or 32GB ($600.00 normally, less with rebates and discounts) of internal storage. Optional accessories (sold separately) for the HP TouchPad include the HP Touchstone Charging Dock ($80), the HP TouchPad Wireless Keyboard ($70), and the HP TouchPad Case ($50). For more details, check out our review.

Permalink to story.

Damn, I wish I wasn't broke. I think $300 is a perfect price for this device, realistically speaking.

gwailo247 said:
Damn, I wish I wasn't broke. I think $300 is a perfect price for this device, realistically speaking.

We're in the same boat. I just invested $550 in a new laptop for my projects, I have a car repair coming up. Bad timing, Staples and HP :p

Having owned a Pre for 2 years now, the Touchpad felt very comfortable to me. I think that by the time the Windows 8 tablets come out, I'll probably make my decision about getting a full blown tablet, but for now $300 would be a perfect price point for one to play around with for the next 16 months.

I am sure that it does the basic functions very well, so basically e-mail, texting, internet, video and media. But due to the relative dearth of applications, you may end up doing not too much more than that, and $500 is just a bit too much. But it would be $300 to me to get that kind of functionality.

Regarding this rebate, I think they're trying to get hype for the product to spur sales. I'm sure Staples only has a few each, its not as if they're going to sell tens of thousands, but some people may be willing to just go for the $400 price. But I've always thought that $300 would be a good price for a decent tablet like this of this size.

Just so you know I just got mine at Best Buy and they gave me the extra "Staples" $100 off. So, might I suggest you only state "for me" vs it is not so, as they say it is better to be thought a fool then to open your mouth and prove it...

While I was going for the 16gb, it has no SD_slot so after $200's off I got the 32GB version for $399. As soon as I turned it on it asked if the new update should be downloaded, dud, I click on it and have the latest version, As I was only interested in the video chat, Email, and watching movies it is OK, I might take it back if any of the Good Android tabs come down in price. 14 days to trade and then make the call.

Thankyou Techspot... got me one of them right after work. I worked for it... had to walk a few miles... but I plan to use it as a dev machine to play with the Web OS SDK. If HP pushes this in all future products it will have a good size userbase.

Guest said:
Just so you know I just got mine at Best Buy and they gave me the extra "Staples" $100 off. So, might I suggest you only state "for me" vs it is not so, as they say it is better to be thought a fool then to open your mouth and prove it...

While I was going for the 16gb, it has no SD_slot so after $200's off I got the 32GB version for $399. As soon as I turned it on it asked if the new update should be downloaded, dud, I click on it and have the latest version, As I was only interested in the video chat, Email, and watching movies it is OK, I might take it back if any of the Good Android tabs come down in price. 14 days to trade and then make the call.

I got OfficeMax to give me the extra $100 off w/ the Staples coupon as well, $299 for the 16gb tablet is pretty sweet :)

I opted to not get the 32gb one b/c it comes with free 50gb of box.net storage for life :)

Back