HP unveils EliteBook Revolve, business-class Windows 8 convertible

Shawn Knight

Staff member

HP hasn’t been a frontrunner in terms of producing multiple touchscreen Windows 8 notebooks up to this point but as we approach next month’s Consumer Electronics Show, that appears to be changing. The PC manufacturer has just announced a new Windows 8 convertible designed for business-class users, the EliteBook Revolve.

True to its name, this EliteBook features a central hinge that allows the user to twist the display around and lay it flat for a tablet-like experience. It’s really no different than other convertibles that surfaced before Windows 8 although the OS is what really makes this generation of touchscreen notebooks shine.

elitebook revolve tablet windows 8 hp

The 11.6-inch matte display is modest at best, sporting a 1,366 x 768 resolution at 400 nits that’s protected with Gorilla Glass 2. Buyers can choose from an Intel Core i3, i5 or i7 processor, up to 12GB of system memory and up to a 256GB mSATA solid state drive. The magnesium chassis makes room for two USB 3.0 ports, a DisplayPort, a full-sized Ethernet jack, a microSD card slot and a micro-SIM slot. We are told that 4G LTE will be an option as well.

The entire package weighs in at around three pounds and measures just 0.86-inches thick. As The Verge points out, that’s pretty hefty for a “tablet” but it’s still much better than last year’s four pound, 1.27-inch thick model.

HP will offer Windows 7 Professional as well as Windows 8 Pro with the EliteBook Revolve. The former is an interesting choice given the fact that Microsoft’s previous operating system wasn’t exactly designed with touch in mind.

At this point, all we know is that the Revolve will first be available in Asia sometime in March at an unknown price. Odds are, however, that we will get some solid details from the company at CES in January.

Permalink to story.

Back