TechSpot

HP unveils new Android and Windows hybrid notebooks

By Shawn Knight
May 15, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. HP on Wednesday unveiled two new hybrid laptops, the Android-powered Slatebook x2 and the HP Split x2 that runs Windows 8. The former system appears to be positioned to compete directly with the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity while the Windows...

Read more

2. ETF Soldier

ETF Soldier TS Booster Posts: 282   +39

The Slatebook x2 looks quite nice, 1080p display? That's what I want to see!

3. roxxas2

roxxas2 TS Rookie Posts: 64   +20

This is retarded. If I had a Windows PC, why the hell would I want an Android?!

4. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 414   +42

When will the scourge of low PPI laptop displays come to an end?? Seriously - 1366 x 768 on a 2013 laptop - come one??

5. ETF Soldier

Because it's not a PC, it's a tablet. the point of it is for casual use, not the every day use that a PC has like video editing, or hard core software that requires hard core hardware to run. The point of an android convertible is to be easy, accessible and casual. Heck, I have a PC gaming rig, and I wouldn't swap that for an android convertible, but I'd never mind having both.

6. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,686   +86

Windows didn't have a real good tablet sure they had Windows XP Tablet OS, Windows 7 Tablet but so Android tablet peaked in sales and is much cheaper to buy than the other too major players. I support Android tablets.

One day tablets will be the norm and that's is how it going to be one day. Which OS on there just have to see how this plays out..

7. roxxas2

roxxas2 TS Rookie Posts: 64   +20

That's what the tablet OS side is for on Windows 8. Why do you think the "Modern UI" was invented? So they could switch back and forth.

8. ETF Soldier

'The tablet side of Windows 8?' - I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this - but it still doesn't make the PC a tablet, it's not something you can lay in bed with and hold and type, it's not even a bulky laptop, they're mostly better than thin laptops and a hell of a lot cheaper too!

9. C'mon HP, the Windows Slate launch price is waaaay too high.

Trying to corner the market by making us baulk at you again?

10. Mallok

Mallok TS Rookie Posts: 21   +7

It's a full processor and (slightly) cheaper than the surface pro (with less hardware). But the full pc tablet has to catch on first. I think it has a lot of potential but we may only be seeing a stepping stone in their more profitable future. Once a lot of users can completely replace the laptop, the laptop will go the way of the netbook. (some things still can't be done on a tablet and email/web/and now office CAN be done on a tablet).

11. waterytowers

waterytowers TS Rookie Posts: 85

Windows version has low resolution due to Windows limitations and probably also due to Windows users being happy to stay on low res screens. If Windows users bought more high end gaming laptops with high res screens, maybe they would look at making it standard on all laptops. I am sure this is how Microsoft views the world, as screwed up as that world view is...

Apple showed how high res screens are in demand, it is a shame Microsoft can't see that people are willing to spend more if the product quality is there. I suppose Microsoft have tried to improve with the surface product line, but it still doesn't break the 1920x1080 res, how sad.

I am not a Apple user, my drug comes in the Android form and have to admit that all my latest gadgets have been pure Android, ie Nexus devices. I have waited until a device appeared that suited my needs and the Nexus 7 and 10 were the first to appear.

Nexus 10 is the best tablet I have used but the Nexus 7 is better for portability. Only thing I need now is an ultrabook that has a screen of the Chrome Pixel with more local storage, Wireless ac, 3G/4G, and runs Linux. Latest tech looks to be getting close, there maybe something available in the next couple of years?

12. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

One day will it one day really be that way one day? /jest

You've got to be kidding. Windows limitations for screen resolution? There is no such concept. Resolution is determined by the physical display and the capabilities of the GPU.

The problem is with the manufacturers. How on earth does HP justify fitting a 1366x768 display in 13.3 inches, yet a 1920x1200 display in 10.1 inches!? Freaking stupid.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.