HP unveils new Android and Windows hybrid notebooks

Shawn Knight

Staff member

HP on Wednesday unveiled two new hybrid laptops, the Android-powered Slatebook x2 and the HP Split x2 that runs Windows 8. The former system appears to be positioned to compete directly with the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity while the Windows machine consists of a 13.3-inch tablet with a keyboard dock.

The Slatebook x2 ships with a 10.1-inch display operating at a 1,920 x 1,200 and includes a dockable keyboard much like the Asus system. It is powered by Nvidia’s quad-core Tegra 4 processor and runs Google’s Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean operating system.

split windows android-based slatebook hp

The press release notes the system will carry just 64GB of storage although at least one publication believes that’s an error. If true, however, there’s always the microSD card slot for additional storage in addition to the bevy of free online storage available. 

split windows android-based slatebook hp

If something running Windows is more your style, the HP Split x2 could be right up your alley. The 13.3-inch display runs at a lowly 1,366 x 768 but packs an Intel Core i3 Ivy Bridge processor (or an i5 if you want to splurge), 4GB of RAM and 128GB of flash storage. There’s a 2-megapixel front-facing camera and an extra slot in the keyboard dock for an additional 500GB of storage space.

Both systems are expected to be available in the US starting in August. The Slatebook x2 carries a starting price of $479.99 while the Split x2 can be yours starting at $799.99 with the Intel Core i3 processor.

Permalink to story.

When will the scourge of low PPI laptop displays come to an end?? Seriously - 1366 x 768 on a 2013 laptop - come one??

This is retarded. If I had a Windows PC, why the hell would I want an Android?!

Because it's not a PC, it's a tablet. the point of it is for casual use, not the every day use that a PC has like video editing, or hard core software that requires hard core hardware to run. The point of an android convertible is to be easy, accessible and casual. Heck, I have a PC gaming rig, and I wouldn't swap that for an android convertible, but I'd never mind having both.

Windows didn't have a real good tablet sure they had Windows XP Tablet OS, Windows 7 Tablet but so Android tablet peaked in sales and is much cheaper to buy than the other too major players. I support Android tablets.

One day tablets will be the norm and that's is how it going to be one day. Which OS on there just have to see how this plays out..

This is retarded. If I had a Windows PC, why the hell would I want an Android?!

Because it's not a PC, it's a tablet. the point of it is for casual use, not the every day use that a PC has like video editing, or hard core software that requires hard core hardware to run. The point of an android convertible is to be easy, accessible and casual. Heck, I have a PC gaming rig, and I wouldn't swap that for an android convertible, but I'd never mind having both.

That's what the tablet OS side is for on Windows 8. Why do you think the "Modern UI" was invented? So they could switch back and forth.

That's what the tablet OS side is for on Windows 8. Why do you think the "Modern UI" was invented? So they could switch back and forth.

'The tablet side of Windows 8?' - I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this - but it still doesn't make the PC a tablet, it's not something you can lay in bed with and hold and type, it's not even a bulky laptop, they're mostly better than thin laptops and a hell of a lot cheaper too!

C'mon HP, the Windows Slate launch price is waaaay too high.

Trying to corner the market by making us baulk at you again?

C'mon HP, the Windows Slate launch price is waaaay too high.

Trying to corner the market by making us baulk at you again?

It's a full processor and (slightly) cheaper than the surface pro (with less hardware). But the full pc tablet has to catch on first. I think it has a lot of potential but we may only be seeing a stepping stone in their more profitable future. Once a lot of users can completely replace the laptop, the laptop will go the way of the netbook. (some things still can't be done on a tablet and email/web/and now office CAN be done on a tablet).

Windows version has low resolution due to Windows limitations and probably also due to Windows users being happy to stay on low res screens. If Windows users bought more high end gaming laptops with high res screens, maybe they would look at making it standard on all laptops. I am sure this is how Microsoft views the world, as screwed up as that world view is...

Apple showed how high res screens are in demand, it is a shame Microsoft can't see that people are willing to spend more if the product quality is there. I suppose Microsoft have tried to improve with the surface product line, but it still doesn't break the 1920x1080 res, how sad.

I am not a Apple user, my drug comes in the Android form and have to admit that all my latest gadgets have been pure Android, ie Nexus devices. I have waited until a device appeared that suited my needs and the Nexus 7 and 10 were the first to appear.

Nexus 10 is the best tablet I have used but the Nexus 7 is better for portability. Only thing I need now is an ultrabook that has a screen of the Chrome Pixel with more local storage, Wireless ac, 3G/4G, and runs Linux. Latest tech looks to be getting close, there maybe something available in the next couple of years?

Windows didn't have a real good tablet sure they had Windows XP Tablet OS, Windows 7 Tablet but so Android tablet peaked in sales and is much cheaper to buy than the other too major players. I support Android tablets.

One day tablets will be the norm and that's is how it going to be one day. Which OS on there just have to see how this plays out..
One day will it one day really be that way one day? /jest

Windows version has low resolution due to Windows limitations and probably also due to Windows users being happy to stay on low res screens. If Windows users bought more high end gaming laptops with high res screens, maybe they would look at making it standard on all laptops. I am sure this is how Microsoft views the world, as screwed up as that world view is...

Apple showed how high res screens are in demand, it is a shame Microsoft can't see that people are willing to spend more if the product quality is there. I suppose Microsoft have tried to improve with the surface product line, but it still doesn't break the 1920x1080 res, how sad.

I am not a Apple user, my drug comes in the Android form and have to admit that all my latest gadgets have been pure Android, ie Nexus devices. I have waited until a device appeared that suited my needs and the Nexus 7 and 10 were the first to appear.

Nexus 10 is the best tablet I have used but the Nexus 7 is better for portability. Only thing I need now is an ultrabook that has a screen of the Chrome Pixel with more local storage, Wireless ac, 3G/4G, and runs Linux. Latest tech looks to be getting close, there maybe something available in the next couple of years?
You've got to be kidding. Windows limitations for screen resolution? There is no such concept. Resolution is determined by the physical display and the capabilities of the GPU.

The problem is with the manufacturers. How on earth does HP justify fitting a 1366x768 display in 13.3 inches, yet a 1920x1200 display in 10.1 inches!? Freaking stupid.

Back