HP W7 laptop won't boot to desktop

learninmypc

My landlady asked me for help so I plugged it in & pushed the power on button & once it came up it says " No bootable device-- insert boot disk and press any key.
I have no boot disk for it so I powered it off , waited a few minutes & booted it back up pressing the f8 key & it said to press the esc key for start up menu. I did such & it says
Start up menu
F1 System Info
F2 System Diagnostics
F9 Boot Device options
F10 BIOS setup
F11 System Recovery
F12 Network boot

ENTER - Continue Startup (Didn't do it) ( I did it but it wouldn't.)

For more information , please visit www.hp.com\go\techcenter\startup

This laptop is used in a business & I'm told some important documents are on it. What should I do? Would F11 be a good start? Thanks

Last edited:
Ok, even thou I'm no techie, I went thru the F keys mentioned & have UNfortunately determined the harddrive is dead.Capturemem test.JPG
The other photos I took are too big too post. :( I'll tell her the laptop is dead :(

Anybody know how to remove the harddrive on this laptop?
Where do I find the info so I can give it to my landlady so she can get a new harddrive?

Last edited:
Their should be a flat panel with four screws on the bottom of the laptop. This will give you access to the hard drive.

Ok, looking at the bottom of it, I see 1 panel with 2 screws only. Two other panels have one screw each on its panel.

Ok, I have reason to believe that big one is the harddrive but one of the screws is inaccessible to me. I'm going to need another way to find out what kind/size of harddrive it is.
When I pressed F2 as mentioned above, it gave me a bunch of info but not sure about harddrive size/type.

Can not tell from the pic if that is the harddrive. If it were it should have a bracket with screws on top . That will let you remove it.

I think at this point in time it would be best for me to go with her to a computer shop & tell them exactly what the deal is & tell them EXACTLY what needs to be done so she don't get taken advantage of.
I would simply tell them the harddrive is shot & she wants it ONLY replaced & the W7 OS disc separate so I can install that. I don't trust myself to remove/install a Harddrive, I know I can install the OS. BTW @Cobalt006 , nice to see you back. :)

Ok I can understand that. But if you do try. Removing the hard drive is very easy. Plus the video shows the best way. This is same way on most HP laptops. If you do install a win 7 on the laptop. You may need to find drivers for it. If it is not the recovery disk for this model. If she decides to get the recovery disk it would be much cheaper then win 7 disk. Its all in what she wants . Good Luck.

@Cobalt006 , have removed the 3 screws but it will not budge. I see 2 other screws but one is not accessible at all.The one that is,is out but still no go. :confused:

After you have remove the three screws You should just be able to just pop the hard drive up. Then release it from the connecter the board.

After you have remove the three screws You should just be able to just pop the hard drive up. Then release it from the connecter the board.
Ok, I thank you for your patience & expertise however it has been decided she'll buy another laptop & learn the importance of backing up EVERYTHING. Again, thank you & Seasons Greetings. :)

Back