HP Windows 7 laptop BSOD

Hi there,

My new laptop keeps BSOD on me, and I'm not sure why. I've ran memtest for over 10 passes, chkdsk and HP's own hard drive and memory testing utilities and they have all passed. I'm never really running anything demanding when it crashes, only firefox with a youtube video playing. Oh, and it's a HP G62-107sa running windows 7 64 bit.

I have attached a minidump file to this post, any help would be very much appreciated as I'm at a loss in this area of computing.

Thank you in advance,

Attachments

• 083010-22464-01.zip
    24.7 KB · Views: 1
Your error is 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

Unforunantly nothing definitive was listed as the probable cause. Do you have any more minidump files? If so and you only have one or two just attach as is. Please don't zip them individually. If you have 3 to 5 then zip them together and attach.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately I did a factory reset and tried to update everything from scratch, and that is the only minidump I have now. The other times it has crashed, the screen has just frozen and I've had to hold the power button down to turn the laptop off. When this has happened, no minidump has been created.

After some more reading up into this error, I've read that it could be due to me having ZoneAlarm installed, you mentioned it could be a software issue, would it make sense that it could be ZoneAlarm?

Without anything definitive I wouldn't want to make a guess if it is or is not ZA. Now ZA has caused issues for many but not all. What security software do you have installed?

I would suggest you to try Online Armor or Commodo Personal Firewall (both have free versions), in recent times I've seen ZA causing more issues than ever before, which have compelled me to suggest people not to use it, I think they dropped the ball when vista came about, and haven't yet recovered from that. Anyway, please do let us know about what happens if you decide to try any of these solutions. Regards

Update

Hi,

I thought I'd post back to keep you informed (as I personally find it annoying when people don't!) Since removing ZoneAlarm my laptop hasn't crashed yet *touch wood*, so thank you kindly for all your help!

Hi,

I thought I'd post back to keep you informed (as I personally find it annoying when people don't!) Since removing ZoneAlarm my laptop hasn't crashed yet *touch wood*, so thank you kindly for all your help!

Thanks for getting back to us! We, too, find it annoying as well. :)

For free firewalls, Kerio by Sunbelt is also highly recommended. (for XP & Vista, 32bit only).

BUT... The Windows7 firewall gets good reviews, (unlike previous iterations!)

Glad to hear that, by the way, which Firewall you've installed ? Or are you using the default one came with the Win7 now ?

Hi,

Yeah I removed ZoneAlarm and now I'm using Avast and Windows 7 firewall, I think that should be adequate?

Consider Superantispyware or Malwarebytes. Both are excellent and both have free versions though when it comes to my main rig I go for the $ versions.

@ Archean
Assuming your question was directed to me... I am still on an xp system :haha:
but I have been looking seriously for my next computer, and researching what will be needed for it.
Jobeard is the one who most recently assured me of the adequacy of Win7 Firewall.
He also is the one who alerted me to Kerio by Sunbelt.
Route44 pointed me to Comodo and especially Online Armor. I have used both of these, and prefer OA. :approve:

From my (incomplete) Anti-Malware training...
In anti-malware circles, Comodo and OA are most often recommended.
Avira and Avast usually get the highest marks for AV. (I prefer Avira).
I also have MBAM, and SAS, and Spybot, (but do not care for their Teatimer - I have had issues, and have seen too many others with issues).
I also recommend periodic av on-line checks, such as with Kaspersky.
No av is 100%, but these, with safe surfing, should keep you adequately protected.

Jobeard also has been educating me on the need for a "layered" security plan.
Jobeard said:
Security is provided in a LAYERED approach, each layer presenting a bump in the road for attackers to get over.
That said, the USER presents the weak link regardless of how many layers are in place.
Why? Because every time you click on a link to visit a page or open an email attachment, you have no idea what is actually received by your computer.
Summary of the "Layers" -
  • First Layer - Router between modem and system.
    • "This creates a NAT (Network Address Translation) LAYER to stop alll direct attacks from the Internet.... "
  • Second Layer - A Software Firewall, on the Workstation -
    • Needs to control both inbound and outbound traffic.
  • Third Layer - Access control to ensure you don't access known infected sites.
    • (ie black and whitelist systems, including a "hosts file")
  • Fourth Layer - AV product - Should scan inbound email.
    • BUT this cannot catch links in email to sites that will infect you simply by visiting...
    • Hence the warning above about the User being the weak link!
    • DO NOT CLICK ON EMAIL LINKS!
  • Fifth Layer - NEVER EVER go on-line from an Administrator account.
    • Always use a "user account" with restricted privileges.
  • Sixth Layer - Safe Surfing -
    • Avoiding known malware vectors like "filesharing" (including music) and "pron" etc.
If this kind of approach is consistently implemented, I believe it should not be necessary to add the seventh layer of a VM or "sandbox" (unmentioned in Jobeard's tutorial).

Well my question was aimed at the OP, but thankyou for sharing your thoughts nonetheless :)

Well as I use USB wireless broadband connection, the router bit doesn't apply to me, but I do follow very similar approach myself for many many years now, and I've been extremely lucky that last time any major infection I got on a computer, was in 1992(ish) period.

Anyway, I use Comodo (x64) and I am comfortable with its 'nagging' popups every now and then, as they do keep me busy ;)

Back