HP's invention, due in drives soon, lets users burn labels

By Phantasm66
Mar 9, 2004
  1. "Looking for a way to label your multitude of CDs and DVDs neatly and efficiently? HP has come up with an elegant answer: Use the same laser that already burned the data to make a label on the flip side of the disc. "

"A technology dubbed LightScribe enables drives to burn a silk screen-like, high-contrast label on the upper side of CD or DVD media bearing a special coating. After completing a data burn, users will be prompted to flip the disc over to burn a label onto the other side. "

"There are no consumables like ink or ink jet cartridges; the only consumable is the disc itself," says Daryl Anderson, project manager and HP engineer responsible for inventing the technology as part of a joint effort between HP's Imaging and Printing Group and its Personal Systems Group.

More here.
  2. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,512

Maybe now I'll finally remember to label my cd's so I know what's on them.

Just hope the price won't be too high, and that you can buy the cd's in stacks of 50.
  3. vassil3427

vassil3427 TS Rookie Posts: 640

I thought Yamaha offered a burner like this that let you burn labels....
  4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

The yamaha burner lets you draw or write text on the data side of the disc & on the unused portion of the disc ( technology called DiscT@2 ). If you burn a CD with 700mb worth of a data ( on a 700mb blank CD ), you had no room left to write text & whatnot.

This HP burner lets you do it on the other side of the disc.

I just hope there won't be any cases of CDs catching fire with this technique.;)
  5. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,350

I guess my sharpee marker just became obsolete. Haha.
  6. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

You'll get my Sharpie when you pry it from my cold, dead hands [​IMG]
    That would be very handy though for things where you'd want a nice looking label.
  7. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,350

I love my sharpee :-D.
  8. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,512

Or want a lot of info on the disc... The latter is at least true for me who can't manage to write small letters ina readable way using a filt-tip pen....
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.