HTC loses to Apple, several Android phones banned in the U.S.

Rick

Staff

The U.S. International Trade Commission finally issued its decision on a patent dispute between Apple and HTC. The determination states that several of the manufacturer's Android-based handsets will be banned from sale and import in the United States on April 12, 2012. HTC says not to worry though -- they have a plan.

HTC dodged the bullet for 8 of the 10 patent accusations made in April, but those last two were still good enough to land an injunction from the ITC. The determination blocks several of HTC's Android-based devices from import and outright bans the sale of those devices in the U.S. It is currently unknown what exact phones are subject to the injunction.

So what's all the fuss about, this time? Apparently, Apple has patented clickable, actionable phone numbers and other types of data. For example, if someone texts their address to your iPhone, iOS detects that your friend sent you an address and makes it a clickable link. If you open the link, it will bring up the native map app and show you where that address is located. Android (and other software) happens to do the same thing. The blob of legalese for this is below:

Claim 1: A computer-based system for detecting structures in data and performing actions on detected structures, comprising: an input device for receiving data; an output device for presenting the data; a memory storing information including program routines including an analyzer server for detecting structures in the data, and for linking actions to the detected structures; a user interface enabling the selection of a detected structure and a linked action; and an action processor for performing the selected action linked to the selected structure; and a processing unit coupled to the input device, the output device, and the memory for controlling the execution of the program routines.

Claim 8: The system recited in claim 1, wherein the user interface highlights detected structures.

HTC's stocks plummeted as word about the ruling surfaced, however, the company has apparently been preparing for such an event. The handset maker had its designers hard at work altering the features under dispute, effectively working around Apple's patent claims. There is no word on when the changes will make it consumers, but it is safe to assume it will be before April 12, 2012.

When a statement that HTC had been working around the problem was given to the Boy Genuis Report, HTC stocks soared once again.

“We are gratified that the commission affirmed the judge’s determination on the ‘721 and ‘983 patents, and reversed its decision on the ‘263 patent and partially on the ‘647 patent,” ... “We are very pleased with the determination and we respect it. However, the ‘647 patent is a small UI experience and HTC will completely remove it from all of our phones soon.”

Gizmodo reports the that Android 1.6 to 2.2 phones are affected. If this is true, the decision may ban the T-Mobile G2, MyTouch 3G, Hero, Desire, Aria, EVO, Droid Incredible and others. It would seem other manufacturers are at risk too, an example being Motorola's Droid. Let us not forget that many entry-level smartphones still sport older versions 1x and 2x versions.

In all honesty, the patent sounds broad enough to cover all versions of Android and even computer software like certain e-mail and calendaring clients. This could set a bad precedent for developers everywhere, including Google. The ITC's decision serves as an unnerving reminder of what a powerful weapon patents can be, even outside of the legal system.

Permalink to story.

The Nexus One was an HTC phone, not Samsung. Regardless, this is a sad day to be sure.

Go Apple, GO GO APPLE! Your place is over the android phones. They are weak and slow!

If there is such thing as "Divine Justice" I assure you that Apple and all those at Apple responsible for all the misery they cause in the IT&C and mobile phones&tablets sector, will pay for it, all that you do one day will backfires at you Apple.
Apple is an abomination to this world and they should be exterminated.

Not sure about divine justice but I would say if it does it would not apply in this case, it’s conquered by blind fanboyism.

Blind fanboyism, more like blind anti-fanboyism.

Apple changed the way smartphones work, created the tablet market and redefined what a notebook should be. Recognize, then buy whatever you want.

But how much rotten apples a fanboy can eat before going sick ? LOL

I don't know...if you copy and steal you pay for it! Simple as that! Doesn't matter which company you are!

Wait a moment since Apple wasn't a telecommunication company like Motorola, Nokia, and others they had no history, experience or any other research&development in the field of mobile phones, what they did in 2007 with their first mobile phone released aka iPhone was to copy and steal all the technology that others like Motorola, Nokia&CO have invented and developed through decades before Apple was ever thinking on producing a mobile phone.
So look who stole all that mobile phone technology in the first place, Apple stole it.

The ITC's decision favors the Apple believers... yet this could carry a dangerous precedent towards the developing future... if you can patent stuff the way Apple does , then the outline of the future will be very Apple-like coloured...
Believe me, eventually Apple will run out of bright ideas and the rest of the developing community couldn't be bothered anymore...

The patent-war should come to an end before the End-User choice and experience is determined by just 1 manufacturer.

Diversity is what we need, so imho the ITC should be overruled by some judge that has a clear view on what technology could bring us in the future.

... Are you sure all of you want to drive grey cars and all wear the same grey clothes, because this is what we are working on with this whole patent bullshit.

US protectionism is action, The tablet computer as apple saw it is a direct copy of Kubrick's 2001 space odyssey prop. The iphone was a simple evolution that if apple hadn't made there were many others out there that would have. I find their shotgun lawsuits and patent trolling to also be very distasteful. not a company i would ever support.

HTC don't seem worried, so neither am I. HTC is a powerhouse and they will get through this. Cook must of been forced at gunpoint to continue the Android hate. I do feel sorry for Apple though. Before Jobs passed away I wanted future iPhones to fade into the sunset... now I just hate them outright.

Patents were heralded as an aid in innovation and yet here we are with Apple patenting an idea that many developers already done in the 1990's via Perl scripts and parsing of screen data.

Thank god our patent system was not around in the caveman's time otherwise all of us would still be waiting for lightning strikes to get fire due to the patent for original fire, in essence killing all innovation...

First let me preface by saying I really like HTC. I have owned more than one of their phones, but the bottom line is that if HTC (or any other company) held those patents they would do the same thing. Its unfortunate but true. I don't think it's fair to say that Apple is evil because of this kind of stuff. They just happen to own certain patents. Now whether Apple actually developed the technology in question or purchased it, or stole it is another discussion. Also, before you flame me, I am NOT a Apple fanboy. Just a realist...

I understand needing to protect your "IP", but, Apple is receiving a lot of bad press about their way of going after copyright claims. It makes Apple look like they can't beat "android" with their devices without trying to get the droid style phones banned. Innovation use to be Apple's strong suit, but the iPhone 4S didn't really "innovate". Except for iOS5, redesigned antenna (fail on the 4), it's just a warmed over 4. If 5 doesn't "wow" the non rabid iPhone fan, Apples days of "leader" might be a thing of the past. The era of Steve "I can't do anything wrong" Jobs could be over, which is bad for the entire industry. Before the iPhone came along, the "cool" phone was a Razr...look how far it has come.

As long as we have a humanity so daft as not to recognize the all pervasive interdependence then we will continue in this massive nonsensical struggle to possess creation. At worst it will drive us to the brink of extinction just as we have already driven so many other life forms and at best it will leave this planet a misery where the dead will pity the living.

Do not be so foolish as to trade long-term happiness for fly-by-night rectangular blinkers that go "ping".

Well, Apple is the no.1 US company so they have to find ways of protecting it from powerful asian competitors. There`s no philosophical debate here on patents or other potential means of achieving its goals, just follow the money imho. After all it`s a war out there for controlling a huge market and unfortunately the causalities are us, the customers.

Im sure steve jobs left some sort of "if i die tomorrow" agenda to cover a course of a few years, once that runs out, appletonians everywhere will be scrambling like chickens with no heads.

butch said:
First let me preface by saying I really like HTC. I have owned more than one of their phones, but the bottom line is that if HTC (or any other company) held those patents they would do the same thing. Its unfortunate but true. I don't think it's fair to say that Apple is evil because of this kind of stuff. They just happen to own certain patents. Now whether Apple actually developed the technology in question or purchased it, or stole it is another discussion. Also, before you flame me, I am NOT a Apple fanboy. Just a realist...
Nobody's flaming you. That's a good point of view.

It just seems that HTC won't have a big job dealing with these changes so who cares - especially if this really only concerns Android 1.6-2.2.

Apple and all your Fanboy ****** can rejoice. You are creating a monopolistic environment and following blindly just like North Korea. I'm sick of your *****ic comments about who is better and who came out with what. All of this is supposed to help us, humans. And being communist about your devices, your software, and your company is not going to help out anyone. Eventually people will see you for the company you really are. Steve Jobs goes down the same year as Kim Jong il? I hope they share a nice glass of "I'm a lil b.i.t.c.h who used people my entire life and my legacy is to try to slow our technological advancement." Kudos dog. I hope the both of you live in everlasting misery.

How the hell do you patent a hyperlink? Apple didn't invent it. Does this mean ANY hyperlink is now a patent of Apple? Come on. This is ridiculous. What did Apple slip under the table to get this stupid, *****ic ruling?

This keeps up, forget having choices, people. If Apple corners the market and forces everyone else out, you won't have a choice.

How many of these same Apple fanboys were so dead-set against Microsoft and wanting them to go down as well and wanted Apple to be the #1? It's amazing how they cheer against the competition, yet when their company does exactly what they are against, they cheer for it. What lemmings.

Hopefully, this can get overturned somewhere because as small and minute as it might seem, it could have serious repercussions in the long run that affect everyone's choices: mainly, reducing them.

I think most of the so called Apple fanboys that post pro Apple messages across the web are in fact Apple employes and web bots that scan the web searching for latest Apple news and where they find one they eagerly post a pro Apple message on that page in order to trick the consumers to buy an Apple toy instead.

Now I may be completely wrong here, as I don't have time or inclination to look up the facts, but hasn't programs such as Skype had the ability to detect phone numbers in text and highlight them with an action for ages? Way before the iphone was invented? How did Apple manage to patent something that was already invented?

Stealing someone elses idea previously implemented only follows the same greedy idiocy also seen in the fact that someone can now obtain a copyright to a musical piece penned in the 1800's. Fairness, integrity, and ethics only seem to appear in the dictionary.

Just another reason to advise against supporting Apple products.

Back