HTC One receives worst possible repairability score, but still a pretty darn good phone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The gang over at iFixit recently got their hands on the HTC One to perform one of their famous detailed teardowns. Unfortunately it’s not great news for HTC’s latest flagship as it earned a measly one out of 10 in terms of repairability, the worst possible score.

The handset was cited for being very difficult (perhaps impossible) to open without damaging the rear case. This alone makes virtually every component hard to replace, especially the damage-prone display which is the most common repair on a handset. The team was able to get the case open after a lot of work but even still, the plastic bezel surrounding the aluminum case was permanently damaged.

htc ifixit htc one repairability score

The teardown experts also found the One’s battery buried underneath the motherboard and adhered to the midframe – again, making replacement pretty tough. There’s also copper shielding on a number of components that is hard to remove and replace if you even make it that far.

It wasn’t all bad news, however, as the device surgeons praised the HTC One for its solid external construction. This ultimately will lead to improved durability – something one can only hope for given how tough repairing it is.

htc ifixit htc one repairability score

This of course shouldn’t discourage your much if you’ve had your eyes on the HTC One as it’s still one of the best Android handsets around. Up until the Galaxy S 4 was announced, one could argue that it was the most advanced phone running Google’s mobile operating system.

Permalink to story.

This phone still looks and seems amazing. I love the custom interface. The only thing that irks me about it, is how area where you speak into and hear (dont know what its called) is a bit long.

It looks good but I`m done with non Google phones. After owning 7 different android phones and finally getting a Nexus 7, I`m seeing a different future. I flashed my galaxy s3 with cyanogen 10.1 4.2.2 android. Vanilla android is just better all round. No bloatware, frequent updates and it runs well too. I`m fed up with buying a phone and being left to stagnate with old slow versions of the android o/s. Its a nexus 4/5 for me next regardless of enticing specs. Sure this HTC ONE has appeal but for the reasons above - I won't be getting one.

I'm not too worried about the phone's repairability (is that even a word?). I have and HTC EVO 4G that spent a few minutes at the bottom of a swimming pool and it's still running. They must make 'em pretty tough.

I'm not too worried about the phone's repairability (is that even a word?). I have and HTC EVO 4G that spent a few minutes at the bottom of a swimming pool and it's still running. They must make 'em pretty tough.
If I was unceremoniously dumped in a swimming pool I'd also be running (away from whoever dumped me):D

I can just agree with the previous guest comment. HTC does not really offer the best support regarding their updating of the Android OS. I have HTC Sensation XE, it came with 2.3 was upgraded to 4.0.3 after 1year after release and that was the end of updates. I was official informed when request information regarding possible updates, "no more updates for your phone." Here comes the HTC One with and old 4.1.2 OS and Samsung releases their new phone with 4.2.2 . How come HTC could not do the same? They may update OS in about 8months, as they did with HTC Sensation and give a basic year support, but then offer nothing more. Why would anyone buy HTC with such shoddy support.

So HTC dont do regular update on their flagship phones? LG is like that also and it takes longer for them to get updates

I can just agree with the previous guest comment. HTC does not really offer the best support regarding their updating of the Android OS. I have HTC Sensation XE, it came with 2.3 was upgraded to 4.0.3 after 1year after release and that was the end of updates. I was official informed when request information regarding possible updates, "no more updates for your phone." Here comes the HTC One with and old 4.1.2 OS and Samsung releases their new phone with 4.2.2 . How come HTC could not do the same? They may update OS in about 8months, as they did with HTC Sensation and give a basic year support, but then offer nothing more. Why would anyone buy HTC with such shoddy support.

Those areas are called the microphone and speaker. On this phone, those areas also have the Beats stereo speakers integrated, that is why the grilles are the width of the phone.

Back