Hunting for a ebook

By treetops
May 4, 2009
Post New Reply
  1. I read a book called The Giver by Lowis Lowry in high school, I wanted to read it again so I searched for it on google, found it. Read the first 30 pages online, then it cut me off, it was just a preview. So now im starving for more, I looked on the first 7 pages of google and yahoo search results, checked torrents, searched many ebook sites and scoured rapid share. Yeah in all that time I could have gone to the library. If anyone here knows a great site to hunt down free book downloads id appreciate it!
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

most books like software are copyrighted. You can buy a kindle version electronically probably off of
  4. bobcat

bobcat TechSpot Paladin Posts: 688   +67

I tried kimsland's search engine, entering: The Giver Lois Lowry
    and it found about 50 relevant pdf files, which however I did not investigate further.

Tip: The name of the author is Lois, not Lowis.

I also tried a tuned Google search, but cannot give results because they may be illegal and/or infected.

Tedster’s suggestion overcomes both the above risks.
  5. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,937   +157

I am just going to buy it or go to the library, I searched kims link and other search engines quite a bit, everyone seems to want to share there study guide but not the book.
  6. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

One last option may be all the online sales areas that anyone can become a member of

Anyway, sorry you couldn't find it for free
  7. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,433   +143

You could look on project gutenberg, just google them up, but i dont know if they would have it, I know the have candide.
    You could go to, that is the odyssey, obviously you would go look for the giver.

Curiously, what grade are you in?
  8. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,937   +157

Im out of school im 26, I first read the giver in 10th grade, Its a great book, I want to read the first one again before I go and look for the sequels. Ill give your suggestions a try :).

I'm all for legality, but I can go get this book from the library free of charge, I do not really see why the law cares. I mean say I went to my libraries web site and they offered to let me download the book instead of renting it, both ways= free literature, however it cost them less restocking fees if I download it, I haven't even tried downloading books from my library but im guessing its not done.

Ok I just looked they do not offer downloads, they have 2 of these books and they are both checked out.