Hyper Threading Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corwin613

I have a Pentium D 3.4Ghz HT cpu in device manager it shows 2x CPUs but in taskmanager it only shows one. Not that this seems to be a problem in anyway but I wanted to make sure the settings are correct...

Is there a way to fix this?

I am running Windows XP Pro SP3 32 bit

There is a change you need to make in the Task Manager.
Please look at picture attached for instruction.
Let me know if this helps;)
Apparently I'm having trouble attaching...
Open Task Manager,
under view, select CPU history, and then "1 graph per CPU"

Pentium D CPUs do not come with HyperThreading, save for the Pentium EE 840, which runs at 3.2GHz so you do not have that IMO. You likely have a Pentium 4 HT, with two logical CPUs but a single physical CPU (not the same as a Pentium D, which is a dual-core CPU).

So why do you want to see two graphs in Task Manager?

SIW lists it as a Pentium D 945 single core 64 bit CPU

Under device manager it shows 2 cpus so it either has to be a HT capable CPU or its a dual core and SIW is lying to me

Either way I am confused.....

No reason why I want to but isn't that how it is suppose to look?

EDIT: Everest lists it as a Pentium D 950 Dual Core 2.4 GHz

Both are dual-core and have the exact same frequency. How SIW shows it as a single-core CPU is beyond my understanding.

Wait for others to reply. I can't manage to pinpoint the problem.

I may have a reason which i may fix in a month or so - the OS on the other computer was installed on a different one previously and I haven't redone it yet because its working fine as is until i can get an 64 bit OS to install om the new hdd I bought for it

So I have a dual core CPU then? So they are both 3.4 ghz cpus? or how does one tell how fast a dual core cpu is in comparison?

I've had a pen D processor back in 06 and there are two cores, lacking Hyper threading, unlike the pentium 4 with HT technology. If you are looking at older cpu's they HT works totally different with intels newer cpus. Yes you do have 2 seperate cores running at 3.4ghz, but no ht, your problem is kind of beyond me. I'm definately looking into it now though.

Sweet Thanks to all of you

So I am guessing the newer multi cores have HT then?

I am new to all of this multi core stuff so thanks to all of you for your help :)

yeah i own an i7 920 as you can see, and the HT on the new cpus is 30-40% more productive in some applications, oppose to the meager 5%~ boost in the old ht models. I burn a blue ray disk in 1 and a half minutes, really impressive, and i use pinnacle ultimate for video editing. It takes about 55 seconds to encode a 2.5g disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back