Hyperthreaded CPU Cause of stuttering

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinone

I own a pentium 4 HT 3.4GHz Northwood CPU. I have been trying to find out for years why every game i would play stutters and has generally jerky gameplay when involved in heavy "firefight" areas. Yesterday i did some research into it and found that if i set the affinity to 1 cpu instead of 2, it somewhat improves performance but does not eliminate the stuttering completely. I am nearly towards the end of ending this laggyness. Anyone have any ideas?

Are you running high resolutions on this rig if so that can definately contribute to your studder problem, i doubt its ram, or your cpu. The games that are out today requite a 8 series card to run high res with no lag. Sometimes you can manage off of a 7900gtx or 7950. I even encountered lag when I ran 7950's in sli.

no you don't understand. Its not "lag" its unsmooth, stuttery, jerky. whatever you want to call it. My GPU can render maps no problem on any game i own. Its just this thing when it comes to explosions, it causes the game to stutter before the framerate rises again.

My resolution is 1024x768 at 75 hertz

Explosions huh, sounds like a gpu issue to me, rendering maps are easy on a gpu, no problem for a 7 series card. I think you pretty much said it yourself, when you come across an explosion, shrapnel or w/e your frame rates go down. Some people would relate it to ram, but clearly that can't be your issue. Did you check your cpu usage at all? What may be going on in the background. MY guess is that its a gpu issue. Is that card agp or pci?

the card is agp but im talking about games such as call of duty: UO. This card should slaughter the engine used in that as i was told. even my old 9600xt could handle it. why cant my 7600gt? my CPU usage is normal nothing outragous.

Another way you could chk to see if its your vga is check the temp during game play, see if it exceeds 60C. Possible another culprate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back