I am having trouble cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRunyon

I run a Abit IS7-E mobo with a 550w power supply, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 1mb L2 cache, I think i was sent a dual core or something by accident because it says i have 2 virtual processors.

Anyway, I ordered a heatsink as an upgrade from newegg which i liked here, the reviews people wrote said it kept their processors under 35c under high load, so I apply it with arctic silver 5. I start up my system and I idle at 52, and during everquest 2 (assuming its under high load) it stayed around 62. So after reseating it 3-4 times and not seeing anyhting different, i get the brilliant idea to try the one that came with the package. I put it on and I get the same results. Is it just that my processor cant get any cooler? I am willing to dish out some more money if I can get it to run really cool, I dont really want to spend over 50 dollars though. Ohh, and my case.It has a system blower, 2 fans up front and one in the back, and the temperature only changes by 2c when the side cover is removed.

Am i doing something wrong? Intel says it should be around 30, I am really worried. Thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106032 - That is my heatsink.

I think I found my problem. I just read that you have to put just a grain of rice size on the processor, spread it, and your done. I put half a tube of Arctic Silver 5, slobbering it on like you would glue when like tileing a bathroom. Maybe thats my problem! I will have to try it, Right now I am running the heatsink that came with it with the 6k RPM fan on the aftermarket one. I will let you know what happens, but just in case, any other suggestions?

GRunyon said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106032 - That is my heatsink.

I think I found my problem. I just read that you have to put just a grain of rice size on the processor, spread it, and your done. I put half a tube of Arctic Silver 5, slobbering it on like you would glue when like tileing a bathroom. Maybe thats my problem! I will have to try it, Right now I am running the heatsink that came with it with the 6k RPM fan on the aftermarket one. I will let you know what happens, but just in case, any other suggestions?

I think you`ve found the problem. Using to much thermal paste is almost as bad as not using any.

Take a look HERE at how to apply Arctic silver.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back