I am having trouble cooling.

By GRunyon
Aug 13, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I run a Abit IS7-E mobo with a 550w power supply, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 1mb L2 cache, I think i was sent a dual core or something by accident because it says i have 2 virtual processors.

Anyway, I ordered a heatsink as an upgrade from newegg which i liked here, the reviews people wrote said it kept their processors under 35c under high load, so I apply it with arctic silver 5. I start up my system and I idle at 52, and during everquest 2 (assuming its under high load) it stayed around 62. So after reseating it 3-4 times and not seeing anyhting different, i get the brilliant idea to try the one that came with the package. I put it on and I get the same results. Is it just that my processor cant get any cooler? I am willing to dish out some more money if I can get it to run really cool, I dont really want to spend over 50 dollars though. Ohh, and my case.It has a system blower, 2 fans up front and one in the back, and the temperature only changes by 2c when the side cover is removed.

Am i doing something wrong? Intel says it should be around 30, I am really worried. Thanks!
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

Most P4's run very hot. What heatsink did you get?
  3. GRunyon

GRunyon Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 69

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106032 - That is my heatsink.

I think I found my problem. I just read that you have to put just a grain of rice size on the processor, spread it, and your done. I put half a tube of Arctic Silver 5, slobbering it on like you would glue when like tileing a bathroom. Maybe thats my problem! I will have to try it, Right now I am running the heatsink that came with it with the 6k RPM fan on the aftermarket one. I will let you know what happens, but just in case, any other suggestions?
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

I think you`ve found the problem. Using to much thermal paste is almost as bad as not using any.

Take a look HERE at how to apply Arctic silver.

Regards Howard :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.