I am not sure what to do with vista please help =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zent

Hey,

After reading the thread that was posted on here about buying which vista etc, i was still concerned about which one to buy (Retail, Upgrade or OEM).

My Operating System at the moment is Windows XP Proffesional, and i am interested in buying Windows Vista Home Premium. The one i was looking at buying is the Upgrade. I am also confused with the 32-bit and 64-bit. I would buy the upgrade version but i am wondering whether it will work or not ? just like any other Retail or OEM

Thanks =]

You don't want VISTA, based on the questions you are asking. You need to read up on VISTA on various online sites to see if it does anything you need, then get the VISTA Premium, if you can afford it... as it offers you many options down the road that will not be available in others.
VISTA Home Premium is about the same as Windows XP Home.
32-Bit is for normal computers like yours. 64-Bit is for computers with the 64-bit CPU.
The upgrade choice is a lousy choice, because it limits your repair options if you ever have to make repairs to something using the otherwise available repair option.
I strongly STRONGLY advise you not to get VISTA unless you really know you need it. Windows XP Professional Full Version is a much better choice for 95 percent of the computer user population.

ok thanks for your time and help raybay, i have read your information and i am having second thoughts about vista now, thanks again

There is really nothing wrong with moving to Vista. I like it, not had too many problems at all. None like I did when XP first came along that is. But as Raybay said, you might want to stay with XP for a while. IF you want the look of Vista on your XP rig, there are skins out there you can download for free that mimic Vista somewhat. Also as said, I agree IF you go to Vista, get the 32-bit version.

I'll have to agree with halo71, so far I haven't had any big issues with vista, a few months ago I found compatibility issues, but right now most of the big brands are getting vista compatibility (drivers and software I mean), resources are another downside but Zent don't mention his specs, also, why stay with 32-bit? maybe he have a core2duo or AMD64 and 4GB or more and need 64-bit platform, or is it something wrong with the vista 64-bit version I been missing? I've only used the 32-bit of vista so I don't know about 64-bit, but eventually I think everybody will move on.

Well you don't move on to 64-bit until you have a 64-bit processor.

Nobody has convinced me that there is an overwhelming NEED for VISTA. Not many people can tell you why they like VISTA better.

When Service Pack 1 is issued sometime between November and March, that will be the time to decide.

In the meantime, Windows XP Professional FULL VERSION, not the upgrade or the OEM, offers everything one needs, working pretty close to perfectly so far. I don't yet see any persuasive arguments for changing to VISTA where there are still enough stumbles. VISTA Ultimate has not yet released a single thing they promised for those high end customers.

The reason it was suggested to him to stick with 32-bit was, a.) From his questions about Vista in general and, b.) the lack of programs/hardware etc. right now. I would not think 64-bit is any "worse" than 32-bit. But from the posters questions, it seemed like he was unsure of even getting the 32-bit, much less the 64-bit.

To be honest vista is great esp if you have pc specs..me so far have not had any major issues with vista the only problems i have had is with adobe cs2 products i suggest you get cs3 stuff for vista,also a weird glitch that is not letting me rename folders a lot of people have this but nothing major,and for some rsn i cant install gadgets but i do not use gadgets so no biggie.

btw i tried both 64 and 32 bit i suggest getting 32 bit a lot of software companies still do not have 64 bit software out i ran into some software i used that did not work on 64 bit =/ only rsn i was going to use 64 bit so i can use my 4 gig of ram.32 bit every program i ever used on xp worked

raybay said:
Nobody has convinced me that there is an overwhelming NEED for VISTA. Not many people can tell you why they like VISTA better.

In the meantime, Windows XP Professional FULL VERSION, not the upgrade or the OEM, offers everything one needs, working pretty close to perfectly so far.

100% agreed with you!

Even myself I don't want to move on to vista yet, I have everything working so good on XP that I don't want to get myself on the annoying task to look for everything that says "vista compatible", maybe there's no big issues now, but like you said there's no Overwhelming Need for Vista.

But eventually I'll move on, why? well yes, definitely the eyecandy plays an important part but specially because of DX10 and 64-bit, talking again about 64-bit, I'm wondering if someone like Zent want to buy vista and let's say he have a 64-bit cpu and 4GB RAM(or maybe more) wouldn't be wise to suggest him a 64-bit version despite of availability of SW/HW. Don't get me wrong, my point is asking if 64-bit isn't better for future-proof. He still can run 32-bit applications right? or this is not possible? I'm not sure, that's why I explain what I used to think, maybe I'm mistaken thinking 64-bit will be better instead of getting stuck with 3GB of RAM on the 32-bit version.

1st post
rmdl51 said:
I'll have to agree with halo71, so far I haven't had any big issues with vista, a few months ago I found compatibility issues, but right now most of the big brands are getting vista compatibility (drivers and software I mean), resources are another downside but Zent don't mention his specs, also, why stay with 32-bit? maybe he have a core2duo or AMD64 and 4GB or more and need 64-bit platform, or is it something wrong with the vista 64-bit version I been missing? I've only used the 32-bit of vista so I don't know about 64-bit, but eventually I think everybody will move on.

I guess I am a little confused!?!? What side of the fence are you playing on again?

2nd post
rmdl51 said:
Even myself I don't want to move on to vista yet, I have everything working so good on XP that I don't want to get myself on the annoying task to look for everything that says "vista compatible", maybe there's no big issues now, but like you said there's no Overwhelming Need for Vista.

Look at the dates. You can see that most posters become less convinced that VISTA is worthwhile as time rolls on.

Thats total BS! He just posted yesterday saying that he hasn't had any issues with Vista. And now today, he says he doen't want to move to Vista?!? The 2nd post sounds like he hasnt been using Vista while the first seem like he has! And I highly doubt that 24 hours is gonna make someone do a 360 on their initial views!

hahaha!! My point is that I have nothing against Vista! it looks great and if someone want to move on just do it! I just agreed to the post where there's no mandatory Need to upgrade to Vista. I've tried and tested at work, here with my dad's Laptop. My Main computer at home I use for gaming, music, burn DVD's and some other stuff. I have XP on this PC and there's where I don't want to move on yet. I have no side of the "fence" because I really like vista and can't tell anybody "don't upgrade" either if somebody upgrades (or want to) I won't tell him that he wasted his money. I see no big issues with vista for the regular user, but it's imposible to say that after a few months of it's release it's a stable and most convenient OS for PC, there's where I also agree with raybay about XP being the almost perfect OS for 95% of users at the moment.
Well sorry for the confusion I created, I didn't mean to, I was just looking for your opinions about the 32-bit/64-bit platforms.

to be honest i thought vista was crap and i never wanted to move but i had to format due to a hard drive issue and then was like heck let me try vista and ever since that all i can say is screw xp never going back.

I like you have wondered about vista so many bad reports, but I got vista ultimate (OEM just make sure you wipe your hard Drives clean it installs like a dream no problems what so ever) anyhow runs fine on one of my machines, never crashed yet (4 months) but here it comes, I pleased its on my server just so I don't have to use it, except once in a while, not exactly what I'd call an everyday OS, its got to many, well Quirks? to put it mildly, leave it alone unless you don't have to use it

i just hope ms fixes the folder rename issue and i can find a way to install my dam side bar gadgets cause for some rsn it wont =/

Ol i've read all of what you have had to say and have reconsidered until the service packs are released. I dont know that much about PCs you see so that is why ask for all your guys help :). But again thanks for your time and help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back