I can no longer hear voices, only background sounds

So here's what happened. The mic on my headset stopped working so I jerked around with the computer- and Realtek HD Audio Manager settings. No luck, after this I have experienced some problems with my audio. Voices are super quiet but everything else sounds normal. I currently use the backside of my computer for my headset but I need to fix this.

Thank you!

What is your make/model of motherboard?
Have you tried another headset (or speakers) to determine if its the computer and not the headset? Try hooking up the headset to another computer and see if it works the correct way.

I'm not great with computers but I believe what you are asking for is: MS-7673. The microphone on my headset is broken but this is not the issue. I have tried it on another computer and the sound was good. I've also used a second pair of headphones on my computer and the sound was flawed in this case aswell.

I'm assuming that you bought this computer (and didn't build it). It could be the audio device drivers, or you might have your audio plugin (where you connect the headset to) is going bad. What is the make and model of computer? I can help you pinpoint which device drivers go with your computer, so we can replace them before assuming the worst.

You are correct, I didn't build it myself. I'm having some trouble with finding out of which "make and model" my computer is. Google only helped me get the same information which you asked for in the previous post.

You can usually find the Make and Model info on a sticker somewhere on the case. Might be on the same sticker that has your Windows information.

I had this issue before. If you go to your sounds driver settings, there si sometimes a karaoke mode, or a setting that removes speech. Switch it off and it should work!! :)

I had this issue before. If you go to your sounds driver settings, there si sometimes a karaoke mode, or a setting that removes speech. Switch it off and it should work!! :)

Hi! Thanks for your reply and sorry for taking time, I've been away from home. I have heard several other talking about this but I'm having trouble understanding how to get to my sound driver settings.

Assuming you have the winodows 7 OS, you would go to Control Panel > Realtek HD audio manager.
Somewhere in there, under one of the tabs, is where options that sonarda mentioned are.

Pardon me for not giving conclusive answers, I am not on the computer that has these settings at the moment.

Assuming you have the winodows 7 OS, you would go to Control Panel > Realtek HD audio manager.
Somewhere in there, under one of the tabs, is where options that sonarda mentioned are.

Pardon me for not giving conclusive answers, I am not on the computer that has these settings at the moment.
Ok thank you! Then I was looking at the right place this entire time. My karaoke level is +0 and I find nothing out of the ordinary.

Have u got it fixed now because I have the exact same problem and have the same Realtek drivers etc.
I have reset the equalizer to default and have the karaoke level is +0 atm but im not sure if I'm meant to change that.

The most obvious way of fixing the problem is to completely uninstall the sound driver then reinstall them with the latest driver from your mobo manufacturer. Use the default setup with you headphones plugged in, you can fine tune your settings later after you're satisfied they're working properly.

Had exactly the same problem, all sounds were playing but it was cancelling out the voices, after fiddling with the Audio manager I found that choosing 'Speaker Out' instead of Headphones on the "connector retasking" (pop up when you plug them in) solved the problem. dunno why, but it worked for me.

Ok.. it seems that all of you are software guys eh?..:p I once had a similar problem that only background voices were coming. I believe its a hardware issue. I was using nokia _phone_ headset in pc because my skullcandys were nibbled by my pet rabbit.:( You can do what I did-
Play a song. Put on the earphones, then adjust the pin of the earphone by taking it out a bit, you will found a particular spot, just bit above the base of pin, where the sound starts coming just right...though your microphones will stop working. Mine was a issue of incompatibility but the symptoms are very similar.:-D

I recently had the same problem as you TreeskTR. I am running windows 8.1 so it might be a little bit different. Go to the sound manager and get to the "sound effects" page(the one with the option to turn karaoke on and off). In the bottom left hand corner there should be a small slider next to the larger slider for "main volume". Move the small slider all the way to the left and that should fix the problem:)

*If Windows 8.0 then it's right-click on speaker icon (taskbar; near clock)
Click on 'playback devices',
Click once on your speakers icon, the 'properties' box will become available, click on it.
Click on the third tab across, 'Enhancements' then click the option,
'Disable all enhancements'. Ok all dialogues to clear them.
-------------------------------
* If the headphone socket has become damaged in some way, (normally the springy contacts lose pressure on the plug pins,) then it's possible to get audio in headphones by using a USB-to-3.5mm audio adapter. Roughly £3 / $5.
-------------------------------
* Note that Nokia headphone jacks are different to normal headphone connections, in that they have 4 sections to the plug, not 3. So that is why the plug needs to be slightly 'out' from 'plugged in' position.

When you open Realtek HD Audio Manager from the control panel in the upper left hand corner for speakers you will see a section that says 'main volume' make sure that the left most slider is either all the way to the left or all the way to the right. Mine was dead center and caused voices to not be heard.

Ok.. it seems that all of you are software guys eh?..:p I once had a similar problem that only background voices were coming. I believe its a hardware issue. I was using nokia _phone_ headset in pc because my skullcandys were nibbled by my pet rabbit.:( You can do what I did-
Play a song. Put on the earphones, then adjust the pin of the earphone by taking it out a bit, you will found a particular spot, just bit above the base of pin, where the sound starts coming just right...though your microphones will stop working. Mine was a issue of incompatibility but the symptoms are very similar.:-D

this one worked! thanks!

So, I have this same problem. Most assuredly the hardware has been damaged. BUT using the "room" environment setting, and deselecting loudness equalization has worked for me. (Karaoke actually works a little better on than off, but set to zero.) I haven't played with the equalization . . . these settings worked fine enough. On realtek.

I had this issue for well over a year before playing with these, well resigned to hardware failure.

Make sure that, if Dolby 5.1 is selected, but you don't have a center channel, that you de-select the center channel option. Otherwise almost all dialogue is sent to the center channel.

I had the same problem there isn't any voice just the background sound and I happened to find out what went wrong..

GOTO MIXER on the volume selection (Right Corner below beside time)
click on the mixer you will see system sounds ---> Click on them and you will see task bar
quickly go to playback tab --> double click on the speakers, you will see speaker properties with 4 tabs
goto Enhancements --> un tick the (Bloody) voice cancellation box.... phewwww Problem solved ...
I have no idea how it got ticked also ... you un tick them and baby it works fine...

Thank Me later ....

This is a couple of years later but I had the same problem . Windows 8.1
Go to control panel, hardware and sound, sound, manage audio devices,
then you must highlight speakers - click on speakers, then click on properties,
then enhancements.
At this point as you scroll down there is an option of "voice cancellation." Make sure that is unchecked. Once I did that all the voices came back.. no removing or adding anything.

I had the same problem there isn't any voice just the background sound and I happened to find out what went wrong..

GOTO MIXER on the volume selection (Right Corner below beside time)
click on the mixer you will see system sounds ---> Click on them and you will see task bar
quickly go to playback tab --> double click on the speakers, you will see speaker properties with 4 tabs
goto Enhancements --> un tick the (Bloody) voice cancellation box.... phewwww Problem solved ...
I have no idea how it got ticked also ... you un tick them and baby it works fine...

Thank Me later ....
ohh **** Man how can I thank you......you really got that right//////(y)(y)(y):):)

Back