I cannot format new drive

Hi all,

I bought a new drive 2T (Western Digital Caviar Green 2000GB WD20EARS)
I unplugged the old HD (500GB) and plugged the new one. Windows recognized the drive and I see it in my computer. unfortunaly I cannot format it "Windows could not comlete the format.
Can anyone help me to enjoy my new drive?

Thanks

Shaul

The drive could be dead.

Delete the partition(s) in Disk Management (in computer management in admin tools control panel) and recreate one. Then do a quick format and see if it completes.

After it formats (or even if it doesn't) you should download Data LifeGuard Diagnostics (WD's diagnostic tool) and check the drive to help verify it is good before you start putting a lot of data on it.

Not formated yet

Thanks,
Is ther any problem that its disk 0 and the boot is disk 1.
can I change the order?

Thanks again

Shaul

Thanks,
Is ther any problem that its disk 0 and the boot is disk 1.
can I change the order?Shaul
If the BIOS were to find an OS on drive zero, it would attempt to boot from that.

As it stands, the boot order should be CD/DVD ROM, then a HDD. if no OS is found, it goes to the next HDD. Which, in your case, is exactly what it's doing.

It's a simple matter to change to physical order of the HDDs, especially if they're to the SATA ports. The board is marked "SATA 0", "SATA 1", etc. Just swap the two SATA data cables. It might not be aq bad idea to do this before you start any diagnostic work.

I don't know if it'll make any difference in your case for formatting, but just as fyi: i tend to use EASUS Partition Manager (freeware, of course ;) ) for all my formatting/partitioning needs. It does more and more flexible then the native Windows tools and seems to be less problematic.

Thanks case solved.

At last I could format, I have no idea what cause the difficulties.

Thanks again guys :slurp:

Back