TechSpot

I can't play my recovered .mov files

By grape6002
Aug 9, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I recovered my deleted files using a number of different softwares, Recuva, PC Inspector, Zero Assumption but none of the .mov files that I recovered can be played.

The file size shows the full original size but I've tried playing it with VLC, DivX, Media Player Classic etc and none work!

They are precious memories these videos so if anyone can help i'll be really grateful.

Cheers - Ar

2. ruready2

ruready2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 219

Can you give us what error message you receive when you attempt to play them?

3. Joecai

Joecai TS Rookie

I'm going through the same thing

I deleted a load of movie files by mistake. I recovered them with PC recovery 7.5.

All the recovered files came up as .mov type.

These wouldn't play but a simple change of file extension from .mov to .mp4 helped Quicktime and VLC to recognise them and play them.

Good luck, hope this helps

:)

4. SydneyJBG

SydneyJBG TS Rookie

I have a similar problem. I'm sure this is my own user error. I downloaded Recuva, ran it on the SD card from my son's camcorder to recover videos that we deleted somehow at the end of our August vacation. Recuva recoved about 100 files and put them in New Folder on my desktop. I can see the files as filenames with .mov extensions, but they won't play when clicked to play. Windows Media Player says "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."
    I try to open on Firefox and get a Q with a question mark in it, and I try to open on my desktop with Quicktime and get "Error- 2408: Couldn't open the file FILE0021.MOV becuase it is not a file that Quicktime understands. I even copied a few of the files back to the SD card and tried to play them on my son's camcorder, but they just have a big X through them now. Thought I was being so clever in doing this recovery. I tried changing file extension to mp4 but that didn't change any of the errors described above.

5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,316   +267

Try opening the files in VLC - sometimes it can open and repair broken video files.

6. SydneyJBG

SydneyJBG TS Rookie

I tried VLC

Hi I downloaded VLC and tried to open one of the recovered files and I got:
    No suitable decoder module:
    "VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this."

First time I've seen "undf"--must stand for undefined?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

7. cocoparkers

cocoparkers TS Rookie

Try to convert mov file to another video format like avi

8. SydneyJBG

SydneyJBG TS Rookie

Thanks I will try that next and let you know.

9. mariosarry

mariosarry TS Rookie

I have read all this and still can not recover my .mov files. Most of these files were taken from my iPad and as I remember were downloaded to iphoto as movies. I wanted to move them out of iPhoto and I think that is when I lost them or they became corrupted. Yes, they show 0.00 for time and nothing else. Any new ideas let me know as well. I think they are lost forever.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.