TechSpot

I can't use my USB ports

By nubian13
Dec 25, 2009
  1. i cant use my usb ports so i decided to use driver detective to see whats the problem and
    it shows that it doesn't have any drivers how do i fix this i cant do anything without it i just installed
    xp service pack 2

2. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

USB device drivers install automatically. What you do is go into Windows Device Manager, uninstall and then re-install USB.

Start -> right-click My Computer -> Manager -> Device Manager -> uninstall each USB and re-install

Reply back if this doesn't work.

-- Andy

3. nubian13

nubian13 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 89

ill try it out ill tell u if it works do i restart pc

4. almcneil

Usually, you don't need to restart after re-installing USB drivers but it doesn't hurt.

If this doesn't work, I'd check for spyware.

-- Andy

5. nubian13

it didnt work

6. almcneil

At this point, the next most likely cause is spyware. It often affects devices such as USB. I recommend you use the following 3 antispyware utilities, all are free and can be downloaded from http://www.download.com

• Malwarebytes Anti-malware
    • SuperAntispyware
    • Spybot Search & Destroy

Replay back with results.

7. nubian13

no hat did nothing no malicious items?should i try installing new drivers and if i do were d i get them

8. almcneil

Did none of the 3 antipsyware utilities find any spyware?

-- Andy

9. nubian13

i only used malwarebytes and it didnt find anything

10. almcneil

You need to run all three.

-- Andy

11. nubian13

ill get back to you after running the next two ill tell you tomorrow might take a while

12. nubian13

i ve ran all 3 and i got 3 registry and the reet are cookies. microsoft windows active desktop
    fire wall bypass
    securityanti virus overide
    thats it for registry
    this was on spy bot
    the other 2 did not detect nothing all of them were on full scan

13. almcneil

I presume then that you still have the problem with the USBs not working? I'll presume so.

I don't know what to suggest now. You've re-installed device drivers and checked for spyware. I can't think of anything else.

Someone have a suggestion for nubian13?

P.S. Actually, go to the web site for the manufacturer and download the latest USB drivers. That's the only other suggestion I can think of.

-- Andy

14. nubian13

where do i see the manufacturer device manager?

15. almcneil

If it's a branded OEM (Dell, HP, Gateway, ... ) go to their support web site. If it's a custom or unbranded OEM, then you need to check the motherborad and go to that manufacturers support web site.

-- Andy

16. nubian13

what drivers do i install

17. almcneil

Good question. Look for the ones called "usb" or "chipsets". If you can't find them, post the link for the support site for me and I'll find them for you.

-- Andy

18. nubian13

i found the chisets installed 1 didnt work i could try the oher

19. nubian13

yeah this didn't work anybody got any ideas, almcneil gave some great recommendations but nothing worked could this mean it doesn't work

20. grantgorgen

grantgorgen TS Rookie

I had a motherboard whose USB ports stopped functioning after a +12VDC wire shorted over the motherboard's ATX power connector... everything else still worked after that, just onboard USB stopped. If this is for a desktop you could try to get a USB controller card, they can cost anywhere from $6 to $30 depending on where you buy (newegg, bestbuy, etc)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.