I can't use my USB ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubian13

i cant use my usb ports so i decided to use driver detective to see whats the problem and
it shows that it doesn't have any drivers how do i fix this i cant do anything without it i just installed
xp service pack 2

USB device drivers install automatically. What you do is go into Windows Device Manager, uninstall and then re-install USB.

Start -> right-click My Computer -> Manager -> Device Manager -> uninstall each USB and re-install

Reply back if this doesn't work.

-- Andy

Usually, you don't need to restart after re-installing USB drivers but it doesn't hurt.

If this doesn't work, I'd check for spyware.

-- Andy

At this point, the next most likely cause is spyware. It often affects devices such as USB. I recommend you use the following 3 antispyware utilities, all are free and can be downloaded from http://www.download.com

• Malwarebytes Anti-malware
  • SuperAntispyware
  • Spybot Search & Destroy

Replay back with results.

no hat did nothing no malicious items?should i try installing new drivers and if i do were d i get them

i ve ran all 3 and i got 3 registry and the reet are cookies. microsoft windows active desktop
fire wall bypass
securityanti virus overide
thats it for registry
this was on spy bot
the other 2 did not detect nothing all of them were on full scan

I presume then that you still have the problem with the USBs not working? I'll presume so.

I don't know what to suggest now. You've re-installed device drivers and checked for spyware. I can't think of anything else.

Someone have a suggestion for nubian13?

P.S. Actually, go to the web site for the manufacturer and download the latest USB drivers. That's the only other suggestion I can think of.

-- Andy

If it's a branded OEM (Dell, HP, Gateway, ... ) go to their support web site. If it's a custom or unbranded OEM, then you need to check the motherborad and go to that manufacturers support web site.

-- Andy

yeah this didn't work anybody got any ideas, almcneil gave some great recommendations but nothing worked could this mean it doesn't work

I had a motherboard whose USB ports stopped functioning after a +12VDC wire shorted over the motherboard's ATX power connector... everything else still worked after that, just onboard USB stopped. If this is for a desktop you could try to get a USB controller card, they can cost anywhere from $6 to $30 depending on where you buy (newegg, bestbuy, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back