I caught a virus: Logs attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

uaintgotthisid

I've followed the 15 steps techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html

I've not found anything particularly much, but my computer is behaving it's self a little more than before. Basic symptoms were the screen appearing to refresh and at this point closing any open windows that I was navigating through. I.e. control panel, folders etc. If I closed any open programs that normally made the desktop icons, task bar, and start menu disappear. These symptoms have stopped but I still have no internet. It says I'm connected to an unidentified network but it has no internet. The network is normally identified. I have tried doing 'repair' but alas after claiming I did not have a wireless device (which I shouldn't have because it's a wired connection), and trying to reassign the IP address, I'm still no further with a solution.

It wouldn't install any of the virus software until I installed it off of a USB mem. stick which might help someone in the future. I couldn't connect to the net, although other computers in my house could (hence not a router/isp problem).

Being honest this has taken a flippin age moving files from one computer to another by memory stick, I'd have been as well off formatting the thing but I heard it may not be a solution (I.e. it could be boot sector or CMOS) but I don't know enough to know about this stuff.

I couldn't run SS&D because it wants internet, and I couldn't update any of the other stuff for the same reason.

Anyway here's my logs, any light you can shed would be great.

Please if you aren't sure then don't give me any advice, I've seen so many forums with people giving silly advice, and although I know it's not great advice, not everyone will.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    6.8 KB · Views: 7
Do you happen to have 2 Antivirus programs running at the same time?
1. McAfee
2. AVG

If so, you will need to uninstall one fully
Actually, I would suggest to run a full (updated) Antivirus on your system after that

Have removed AVG (free) have run McAfee

Removed AVG.
Ran McAfee.
Rebooted in Safe Mode with Networking.
Plugged in internet cable.
Connected to an unidentified network, but could not access the internet.
Same result in normal mode.

Any further advice? Advice about CMOS/BIOS viruses? I don't mind reformatting and reinstalling everything at this stage, I just don't know if it's safe or if it will solve the problem.

Thanks for the help so far, it is much appreciated. Keep up the excellent work

extra info

For further info:

I have tried a repair on the Network connection which moans about the ip address needing to be reset, have reset router to no avail. I ran MSN and troubleshot the resulting non-connection. It gets stuck on "default gateway" I find this a useful tool if repair isn't working, you can narrow down what the issue seems to be.

To be honest, AVG was the free version (which I still found impressive), and I couldn't bare to think that I'd spent money and wasn't using it so I kept McAfee :)

Do you know if it's now safe for me to use internet banking etc? Nothing shows up on any scans (sometimes the odd tracking cookie)

safe for me to use internet banking etc?
Some say that you are truly never safe (ie always check your banking transaction records)
It's difficult to say if you are safe, without knowing every part of your firewall configuration. Which I don't want to know.
Generally speaking, you are safe.

is there a way to close this thread?
The thread is left open (forever!) Unless a Moderator closes it (normally no.)
This is to allow others (including yourself) to reply to this thread from now into the distant future (if required) ie Someting new, relevant to the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back