I Did A Backup But Now I Deleted Some Files That Are Still In The Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew2777

How do I delete files that were backedup but I no longer want?

When I go to the backup folder on my external hardrive I can find the folders I no longer want backed up,but when i delete them,they still appear when I try to restore files.....They get an error code if I try to restore them since i deleted them from the backup folder,but its annoying that they are cluttering my view when trying to Restore files.

HOW DO I FIX THIS?

btw this is using the VISTA Backup tool.

You Should Really Fix That Shift Key! Many People (Including Me) Simply Ignore People Who Can't Spell, Do Grammar Or Type.

Also, it would kind of help if you told us what backup program you used.

Nodsu said:
You Should Really Fix That Shift Key! Many People (Including Me) Simply Ignore People Who Can't Spell, Do Grammar Or Type.

Also, it would kind of help if you told us what backup program you used.
The one that comes with Vista

Hmm.. I assume you would have to edit the backup catalog manually. I have no idea what format the Vista backup catalog is in and whether it can be edited..

Nodsu said:
Hmm.. I assume you would have to edit the backup catalog manually. I have no idea what format the Vista backup catalog is in and whether it can be edited..
that makes no sense tho.....why would they not let u take things out of the back up? obviously a user is going to delete some files and folders eventually that were already backedup...so how do u get rid of them from the backup,since its wasting space

Hum.. The very point of a backup is to give you a chance to recover the stuff that you have deleted!

Nodsu said:
Hum.. The very point of a backup is to give you a chance to recover the stuff that you have deleted!
yea but what happens when ur external drive is full and u have a bunch of stuff that u dont want backed up anymore?

or what if u rename a file and now u have 2 of the same files but 2 different names in the back up?

so ur telling me everytime my backup gets cluttered with unwanted stuff...i have to make a whole new backup? i have 250gb to back up thats time consuming and defeats the whole point of backing up with a utility.

You just have to find a better utility that lets you specify what exactly you want to back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back