I don't have any sound on my PC, new sound card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gratefuldeath77

so, my sister built me this cheap little computer and works pretty well...a little slow. anyway, a few days ago she had taken the antenna off of the back so that she could use it (as she lost her own and couldn't pick up a wifi signal). when she gave it back to me, i went to screw it back of and my airlink wifi card popped out. she told me just to open up the case and push it back in, and that i did not need to turn the computer off for this.

i opened up the case and as i was trying to figure out where the card went, a piece of it hit the motherboard and it sparked a little. i plugged it in and closed the case back up, but i didn't get a wifi signal. so, i turned the computer off this time, opened it back up, took out the wifi card and then pushed it back in again. i turned the computer back on and everything worked fine...except...

now i have no sound. i checked the speakers, volume controls, ect...all fine.
i also uninstalled and reinstalled my sound device, went into "services" in the "administrative tools file" to make sure everything was enabled...(i heard that could be the problem), and re-downloaded my sound device.
but i still have no sound.

is the next step, a new sound card?

First reset the System Bios settings
The steps can be found in your manual, but usually it's a matter of pressing the key that is displayed at system startup (usually DEL) then locating Setup defaults (this name may be slightly different, then enabling it

You should also confirm that it's not just disabled, in Sound settings in Control Panel

no, not a new sound card yet.....

Let's see what's being reported about your sound card and other system devices
Check if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Generate a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first cick Go Advanced)

Originally Posted by gratefuldeath77
a piece of it hit the motherboard and it sparked a little.
I think this may be hardware related, this time ;)

Ooops. Excellent point :blush: I missed that about "a piece of it hit the motherboard and it sparked a little."

gratefuldeath77
With that in mind... i'd guess the following and offer modified instructions

1. You said, you could still re-install the sound driver?
Can you uninstall and then reinstall the driver?
If yes, (I think) that suggests
=> Your computer is still at least seeing the sound card chip
=> If the chip had been damaged such that your computer can't even see the hardware device i'd expect an attempt to uninstall and then reinstall the driver would give an error on reinstall about "No suitable hardware found on your computer" or something to that affect​
2. Run DirectX diagnostics
Start->Run, enter dxdiag. Do the following (but no need to generate a report for us to see at this point)
  • Look under Sound1 and Sound2 tabs. Does it report a working device or a problem?
  • If you see a report of a working device use the Troubleshooting buttons you'll find on the Sound tabs as well as under More Help tabs. This will guide through any setup issues that might exist. If still no sound, you probably need a new sound card
  • If you see a report that device has a problem or you see it says NO device, please post to let us know

ok, so i tested just the sound and this is what showed up in the "notes" box:

DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)

then i tested under the music tab. there are four ports to test. with each one a box pops up that says: you should hear some music playing. click ok to continue.
except, i hear no music.

i just went through the trouble shooter and got stuck at a part about BIOS :

This procedure may involve altering your BIOS settings. Incorrect changes to the BIOS of your computer can result in serious problems. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from changes to your BIOS can be solved. Change your BIOS settings at your own risk.
If your computer has a motherboard sound device and not an expansion sound card, make sure your sound device is turned on in your BIOS. This troubleshooter cannot provide detailed instructions for altering your BIOS settings, because they are specific to your computer. Consult your computer documentation or contact your computer manufacturer for specific instructions.
Does turning the sound device on in your BIOS solve the problem?

the sound device is connected to the motherboard, but i don't know how to find out if my device is turned on in the BIOS.
...i feel really incompetent about now ;)

No worries...

And especially about what to do next with computers. There's always something new all of us learn as time goes on!

so fyi....
Your sound card is detected by your computer and the sound driver is installed correctly. (Which all imply your BIOS settings are just fine as is!)

So... skip to the More Help tab
- Try the DirectX Troubleshooter button
- Try the Windows Help Troubleshooter button

I'll also look at the DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code) as it sounds very familiar but don't recall anything about it beyond that.

Is still very possible something was damaged and is the cause of all this but may as well complete the troubleshooting steps above. But if that fails is probably best to bite the bullet and invest in a new sound card :(

ok, so the trouble shooter said :

This troubleshooter is unable to solve your problem.
You have run into a problem that this troubleshooter cannot help you solve. For additional Windows resources, click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

so, i just have one more question. even though my sound device is a part of my motherboard, can i still put a new one in?

Yea, that troubleshooter message sounds like it's the end of that road :(

If you get a new sound card, i'd advise looking for an "off-board" sound card meaning it's separate from your motherboard. Which gives 2 options
=> A separate card which still slides into your computer or
=> A separate device entirely (i.e. sits outside of your computer)

Here's an excellent Sound tutorial that also shows/explains the difference of onboard vs. off-board sound cards

Post a new thread and ask others in the Forum to recommend what sound card they might recommend for you based on their experience with their own sound cards, etc. Am sure you'll get lots of "hands-on" feedback on some of the sound cards out there. Hope it all works out well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back