I get O2 broadband through DSL (phone line)

LukeyJB

Hey, I've got O2 Home Broadband and it comes through my phone line via a DSL cable which plugs into my router which is downstairs in the kitchen.I also have a phone line in my bedroom where I am now, and I was thinking if I brought the router upstairs in my bedroom and plugged the DSL cable into the phone line and into the router up here would I still have an internet connection? both phone plugs are on the same phone line with the same phone number, I'm hoping to have a wired connection to my PS3 as I've been having some connectivity issues lately.

If I've confused you

-I've got a router downstairs, internet comes through DSL (Phone line to router)
-Bring router upstairs, plug it into phone line up here
-Still get a connection?

As long as the phone line in the bedroom is an extension of the phone line downstairs, or the other way around your fine.

Remember you need a DSL filter in each phone line (which should already be fitted). So if your moving the modem/router upstairs, but leaving the phone line plugged in downstairs, you must connect the phone via the DSL filter.

So:

Downstairs
Wall socket > DSL filter > Telephone plug

Upstairs
Wall socket > DSL filter > modem/router (and phone if your connecting one too)

Yup, got a DSL filter downstairs. I shouldn't need one in both as I'm only using one for the broadband? this one upstairs is the same phone line as downstairs and there's been a phone here for ages and it's never had a filter.

Every plug on the same line MUST have a DSL filter. This is to prevent interference, which can slow down your broadband, or stop it, or cause sound issues with your phone line.

You've been lucky if you have no interference - You are meant to use one in every socket on the same line thats used in the house.

e.g. if you have one master socket, and 3 extensions on the same number/line, you should be using 4 DSL filters.

By filter do you mean the extension which plugs into the actual phone line and allows 2 cords to be plugged into it?

If your in the UK, PM me your address and I'll send you one. I've got loads here, and I never plan on having DSL ever again. Virgin Media's 50mb fibre optic is rather nice! :D

I tried plugging my router into the phone plug up here earlier, got no internet light or broadband light on the router, so I'm going to ask wether or not this line is the same as the one downstairs (I'm sure it is) and I'll post back here

I've come across this before - We had two extensions, plus the main socket in our old house. It wouldn't work in the one we had run ourselves. I think it was something to do with the way it was wired - I never did investigate the matter though, I just used one of the other sockets.

Just got told, this isn't a BT line like I thought it was up here, it's a Virgin media line. I was only going to put the router upstairs as a quick fix for my connection problems with Playstation Network until I could afford a better router for it.

No worries! I think I might just switch to Virgin media as we already have a box and a modem for it in my room, recently got disconnected when my brother moved out (got his room)

There is that option, or just run a ethernet cable to the PS3 from the router wherever it is now.

This is a pretty long post. So, sorry if I missed something.

joebeard is the expert in this area. He can correct me if I’ve got it wrong.

1) There is usually only one Live telephone point (that is the point connected directly to the service provider). You can use this as the input to the Splitter.

2) Alternately, you can rearrange the wiring internally in your house, so that one point will be used as the primary input to the Splitter.

3) The Splitter has two outputs
- one goes to your router/modem
- the other is for your telephone(s) (let's call this the telephone line)

4) The telephone line can now be connected to other wall/external points, where ever you need to use a telephone.

5) Only one Splitter is required

6) There should be no telephone(s) between the Live Point and the Splitter.

Back