TechSpot

I got 2 CPUs&Mobos,surprisengly performance dif is too much with every component same

By anonymous2004
Dec 6, 2006
  1. I have got two CPUs and Motherboards,
    One is Pentium 4 2.4Ghz and Motherboard is Gigabyte with Intel 845D chipsets, this one is the older one
    The Second one is Celeron D 3.0Ghz and Motherboard is gigabyte with VIAP4M800 Chipsets

The first one is one with the pins and the celeron is the new type i.e LGA775 package so i cannot interchange the motherboards because the older motherboard only supports Pin-type CPU.

I have a Nvidia Geforce 6600 gt graphics card, 1GB DDR ram and 250Gb hard disk. I mean with every component same i get difference performance on changing the motherboard and CPU.

The problem is that the performance especially of the games is too low on the new celeron D 3.0 ghz, i mean the games which barely reach 20 frames on the Celeron D processor and VIA chipset mobo, run at nearly 50 frames on the older CPU and mobo(P4 2.4 ghz and intel chipset mobo). I cant figure out where the problem lies, is it the chipsets or the motherboard or the cpu. I had made up my mind to buy a new P4 processor but someone told me that chipsets could be the problem, so i got more confused.

So please tell me where the exact fault lies, by the way I cannot use the old P4 cpu and motherboard because with it the computer crashes everytime, that is why i bought a new cpu and mobo. What should i do? buy a new mobo with good chipsets or a new cpu? Please help me with this. Please specify some names too.

2. NFSFAN

NFSFAN TS Rookie Posts: 340

Your problem lies with the Celeron D at 3.0GHz. A Pentium 4 at 2.4 GHz is a lot faster than a Celeron @ 3 GHz. I reccomend you sell you Celeron cpu and buy a P4 at 3 GHz

3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,290   +25

The Celeron line (whether it is a Celeron D or not) cannot compete at all with Intel's mainstream Pentium line. Any Pentium 4 (barrring the older Williamettes maybe) can crush any Celeron out there quite easily.

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,647   +323

If you are really short on cash pick up a Pentium D 775. If you have a bit more money get a Core2Duo (also 775) so that will fit in your new motherboard.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.