I got a new modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

prluver

Hey everybody, I bought a modem at a thrift store. Its SpeedStream 5360. But what do I have to do to connect it?I currently have a dsl modem connected at one computer. Which is used for another computer. I bought this for my computer. I have SBC High-Speed internet. Anybody knows how to make this work?

Well, usually if you plug in the modem to your DSL line, it will automatically adjust it settings, especially with speed stream modems. But the best solution you could do is to get a hub, or maybe even a router then to have two dsl modems communicating on the same line.

You cannot connect two dsl modems to the line!!!
You need to use the original modem which is already provisioned for the line and connect it directly to a router and then connect your computers to the router.

Hope you didn't spend too much money on that second modem.

Indeed, I have never heard of 2 modems being used at the same time unless its being used on 2 separate PCs.

Not even on two separate PCs dude. DSL service operates totally different from phone service. Having two modems on the line will cause interference at the very least, but more than likely your connection will not work at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back