TechSpot

I got warranty...should I take this risk and overclock?

By A2006
Jul 29, 2006
  1. Hello, I have a P4 2.5Ghz processor in my computer that I got from futureshop with a 3 year extended warranty plan on all hardware and labour. So basically the only thing they dont cover is the software.
    Now my question is should I take the risk of overclocking it to achieve the highest speed possible? And if it gets toasted (because I never overclocked before) I will just take it to futureshop to have it replaced OR do you think they wont buy the trick and automatically know I overcloked and burned it?
    ALSO:
    Will this have ANY negative effect on my other hardwares such as ATI Redeon 9550 , ram or DVD drive like burning it or anything?

SO:
    If you think this is a great apportianity for a first timer to screw around and possiblt get a brand new pc replacement please refer me or tell a detailed guide on how to overclock.
    I will surely update the progress if it gets going.
    Thanks.

P.S. Is there any other way aside from overclocking and possibly burning the CPU; to burn a hardware such as motherboard without a technician knowing it was completely delibrate? lol

2. sw123

sw123 TS Rookie Posts: 595

Dude, 2.5 GHz is pretty fast. Don't overclock. They may take the trick, but its against the law to do that, you could be in prison for a max of 3 yrs.

3. dmill89

dmill89 TS Guru Posts: 475

Overclocking is not against the law in the US.(as long as you only do it to equiptment you own)

4. i_am_a_newbie

i_am_a_newbie TS Rookie Posts: 170

I THINK he means trying to fraud the warranty(as OC'ing voids it).

5. dmill89

dmill89 TS Guru Posts: 475

Ok I see. I thought, that He thought overclocking was illegal

6. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

Just pull the battery on the mobo and it resets bios. They would never know. In these days it is hard to "fry" a CPU. I oc'd my first pc when I was 13 with no past experience. So it's not rocket science, and yes for P4 computer 2.5ghz is slow.

7. A2006

A2006 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

Wait a minute..so what would happen if I pull the battery out and reset the bios?

And how do I overclock this 2.5ghz cpu?

8. A2006

Well technically I just want to have my revenge because they ripped me off of my $100 charging me for software and reformat when I could have done that and it was included in my warranty as they sold it to me.

9. sw123

sw123 TS Rookie Posts: 595

Just curious...where did you buy your equipment from?

10. A2006

Futureshop

11. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

in short - NO. And I never recommend overclocking unless you're willing to risk losing the system and your money.

12. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

Unless you overclock it "lightly", around 200-300 MHZ like I do.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.