TechSpot

I have 2 hard drives?

By LukeyJB
Aug 7, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. My laptop has recently come back from repairs because my Hard Drive corrupted. Before I sent it back, I had a 320GB HDD that came with the laptop and when they sent it back I have 2 Hard Drives showing up in Computer. My C Drive and a D (DATA) Drive,

I've noticed that the C Drive is a 139 GB HDD and the D Drive is a 138GB HDD, have they added the DATA Drive to compensate for 320GB?

What can I use the D Drive for?

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

It looks like they partitioned your single hard drive into two drives. It's still physically one drive though. You can use the D drive to store files like pictures, movies, documents, music, etc.

3. LukeyJB

LukeyJB TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

Ah thank you.

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,693   +1,882

The preferred place to store data files actually is off of "C:/". This is in case of malware infection or a corrupted Windows installation. In the event of a catastrophe, you then must only wipe "C:/ clean, reinstall Windows and your programs, and it's back in business, with your data safely on "D:/".

To take full advantage of a partitioned HDD, remember to move files out of My Documents, My Pictures, etc., but only AFTER they have been scanned thoroughly for infection.

Remember, Windows will, by default, use "C:/" for data storage.

Incidentally, a 320GB HDD, when formatted, usually nets about 298GB of actual storage space. So, by my count, and unless laptops are different, or there's a hidden partition, by my count, you have about 40GB of space unaccounted for.

5. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

You can point your My Documents folder to D drive, and make things even more easier for yourself.

6. LukeyJB

I'm actually using D:/ to store stuff such as media, text and word documents etc and C:/ for programs and games

7. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

You can always use one of the free partition managers to enlarge that drive.
    But I would put it away as a resource, and install a new hard drive with what is on the partition... then you will have the best of both worlds.

8. LukeyJB

What do you mean?

9. Archean

He means that you can always 'resize' your hard drive's partition sizes at any time you want to do it. But as he said, having a second hard drive is a very good idea.

10. LukeyJB

How do I resize them?

11. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

I've been recommended EASUS.

12. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

I also like EASUS Partition Manager :grinthumb:

And its pretty intuitive to use WITH ONE EXCEPTION:

Know that all the partition management / resizing instructions you tell it to do, DO NOT ACTUALLY take affect until you click its APPLY button. Only after you click APPLY will EASUS actually execute your instructions. (So is easy to undo or change your mind until you hit that APPLY button)

13. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

Don't they all?
    I suppose the OPer wouldn't know that.

14. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

yea... I had to explain that point to a friend once who never used a partition manager before i recommended it.. so just figured i'd note that point :)

15. Archean

EASUS is good, but Partition Wizard is even better, oh well since it offers version supporting x64 OS ;)

16. LukeyJB

Cheers guys