I have 20 250gb internal hard drives. What can I do with them?

By ryanlds
Mar 17, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What can I do with 20 250 gb internal hard drives? What would I need to buy to turn them into a server? Any other ideas besides ebay?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

You can set them up for Raid, using all the Sata (assuming Sata HDD) connections onboard.
    But you will likely only use 4 Max

The other 16, can be put into external cases (for USB)
  3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,607   +80

Acutally could ditch the USB cases and get a 16 NAS kits and use them as Network Attached Storage which would have 10/100 or 10/100/100 NIC on it with Samba file management Admin GUI. Kits are $59 bucks on Amazon.
  4. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Hum.. USB would be just silly - imagine the mess of wires and your USB probably wouldn't be able to power it all.

Since SAS supports SATA drives, you could get a SAS enclosure and a SAS controller card for some kickass hardware/software RAID.

Or, a proper storage server (NAS). These can come with some 48 drive bays no problem.
  5. kimsland

LOL...I have no idea why I said that USB thingo, I think I still had eBay in mind.
    Imagine 16 USB drives :) !!

Obviously NAS is the way to go, although I can't exactly find a 16Bay (or near to) one ! They all seem to be around 5
  6. syndr0me

syndr0me Newcomer, in training Posts: 19

I was just looking at 250gb hard drives. mine is dying or thats what i think. ( waiting for answers to my thread).

Maybe u could sell me one or something? that would be really nice even if u said u dont want to sell them.

thanks
  7. kimsland

lol :) I'll have a look at your 2 new posts then.

Also ryanlds said he doesn't want to sell on eBay (just yet)

Don't reply here though.
  8. skitzo_zac

skitzo_zac TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 459

Hmmm, send them to me :p? I am always willing to accept ha rd drives!
  9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

sell them on ebay after wiping the drives clean.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.