I have 20 250gb internal hard drives. What can I do with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What can I do with 20 250 gb internal hard drives? What would I need to buy to turn them into a server? Any other ideas besides ebay?

You can set them up for Raid, using all the Sata (assuming Sata HDD) connections onboard.
But you will likely only use 4 Max

The other 16, can be put into external cases (for USB)

kimsland said:
You can set them up for Raid, using all the Sata (assuming Sata HDD) connections onboard.
But you will likely only use 4 Max

The other 16, can be put into external cases (for USB)

Acutally could ditch the USB cases and get a 16 NAS kits and use them as Network Attached Storage which would have 10/100 or 10/100/100 NIC on it with Samba file management Admin GUI. Kits are $59 bucks on Amazon.

Hum.. USB would be just silly - imagine the mess of wires and your USB probably wouldn't be able to power it all.

Since SAS supports SATA drives, you could get a SAS enclosure and a SAS controller card for some kickass hardware/software RAID.

Or, a proper storage server (NAS). These can come with some 48 drive bays no problem.

LOL...I have no idea why I said that USB thingo, I think I still had eBay in mind.
Imagine 16 USB drives :) !!

Obviously NAS is the way to go, although I can't exactly find a 16Bay (or near to) one ! They all seem to be around 5

I was just looking at 250gb hard drives. mine is dying or thats what i think. ( waiting for answers to my thread).

Maybe u could sell me one or something? that would be really nice even if u said u dont want to sell them.

thanks

( waiting for answers to my thread).
lol :) I'll have a look at your 2 new posts then.

Also ryanlds said he doesn't want to sell on eBay (just yet)

Don't reply here though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back